You only have to be perfect

I’m on a Madeleine L’Engle kick right now. I’ve decided that if people can pick their own fairy godmothers, she would be mine. I feel that she’s my spiritual writing mentor, and I love getting the chance to know her better the more I read. Knowing her ideas of time, and connectedness, and love, I rather think she’s relishing the role.

One of the many fascinations Madeleine and I share is the etymology of words. So, here’s a Madeleine L’Engle idea that has got me thinking: the word ‘perfect’ comes from the Latin ‘to do thoroughly.’ She speaks of this action as intrinsic to the very nature of humanity: we must constantly seek this perfection--not necessarily to be flawless or ideal, but to be thorough.

I find it interesting, because it implies an action rather than a stagnant state. To be perfect is to be striving. Because we are human, we make mistakes, but we acknowledge them and move forward, keep trying.

Frankly, my head is spinning with Madeleine L’Engle ideas, and I rather wish I had the time and luxury to write about all of them. Of course, she has already written about them, much more eloquently, so I should probably avoid redundancy and let you read her words. For starters, try Walking on Water, Reflections on Faith and Art, one of the most profound books regarding the role and nature and obligations of art that I’ve ever come across.

Comments

  1. Yes, it's the striving towards perfection and holiness that matters. We'll be perfected in heaven, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book. Unfortunately, my local library doesn't have it, so looks like I'll be either buying it online or doing an interlibrary loan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I just finished WHEN YOU REACH ME, which was inspired by L'Engle. It's been years since I've read any of her books, but this one on faith and art sounds fascinating. Thanks for sharing this golden nugget, Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Striving, action -- I find that to be the answer to many of life's riddles. Thanks for sharing! Off to the library catalogs.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! "To do thoroughly." I like that very much! I had my first exposure to ML reading A Wrinkle in Time to my daughters last spring. I loved it! I can certainly understand your wish. Thanks for sharing this~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. When people ask the "If you could have dinner with any writer, living or dead" question, she's my answer. I think I've come pretty close to reading every published word she's ever written.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts