Writing doldrums and in-betweens

Having just finished my draft of CIRQUE, I'm awaiting critiques and feedback and doing my best not to touch the blasted thing. I know my perspective is shot when just thinking about the m.s. (this is that beloved story that three months ago was inducing daydreams of movie deals) makes me lose my appetite.
I'm working on some small things in between, trying to decide what to devote all my energy towards next. Revise an old, possibly promising story? Outline the new one that exists only in my mind? Come up with something new altogether?
I've decided I'm in no state of mind to decide one way or another. So this week will be devoted to reading, reading, reading and spending as much time outside as possible. All that fresh air is good for creativity, the beach is lovely this time of year, and my garden has been begging me to give it a little more attention.
Here's a glimpse of what's on my shelf (I always read a few things at a time):








And here's what I've been doing outside:

Digging in the sand
 
Making gardens for shore fairies!
Oh, and watching Shakespeare! Outdoor Shakespeare at Edgerton Park in New Haven is a yearly tradition; Mark and I have been going together every year, with picnic dinners and plenty of friends, since before we were dating. This year's masterpiece was Macbeth. Sigh. The language is so brilliant, the plotting so perfect, the emotions so strong--and the Elm Shakepeare Company's masterful acting and staging brought the story wonderfully to life. They didn't allow photography, but here is a little preview video of theirs:




Comments

  1. I'm reading "Code Name Verity" right now and loving it. That third book you have... I'd read it just because that cover is gorgeous.

    and oh man, we're having gorgeous weather, right? if it was like this all year round I'd be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, gorgeous cover, and even more gorgeous writing. Really a stunning, surprising book.

      Delete
  2. Oh, it's always so tough waiting on feedback! I'm like you, I read when I'm in-between projects. It's funny how reading other books can inspire you with your own writing. (I have Code Name Verity in my TBR pile. I'm going to tackle it as soon as I finish my revisions.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing so far. I seriously should be keeping a notebook full of observations on the writing.

      Delete
  3. Soaking up good books, the sunshine and some dirt is a perfect prescription for the in-between times. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vijaya! The best is when you can do at least two at once. :) I love reading outside...

      Delete
  4. I started Code Name Verity earlier this summer but never had a chance to finish it! You'll have to tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not finished, but am more impressed with every page...

      Delete
  5. Reading and being outside are great ideas! I'm waiting on a couple critiques, too, and am writing a new book to keep my brain occupied while I wait. It might be a mistake - I've never juggled THREE before, but now that I'm into it, I don't want to let it go until I've figured out if it will work or not. Ahh, the writer's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh--you can do it, Amy! It's a little like balancing a hacky sack, right? :)

      Delete
  6. oh, you're so right. Reading IS the cure for writerly brain scramble. I've been hearing a lot about CNV. Curious...

    And *sigh* you're making me miss the beach. The girls and I made beach fairy houses last time we were there, too. :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love building for fairies! :) It always makes me feel about seven years old, though!

      Delete
  7. I think it's so important to give ourselves time away from the manuscript after we finish it. Distance can be a wonderful thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Just this morning I realized that the distance had finally set in. Last night I felt miserable about the ms, and today I am raring to go into revisions. :)

      Delete
  8. Congrats on finishing CIRQUE!! I love that name - so intriguing! It's a weird place to be when you finish a draft and are waiting for feedback and don't yet know what's next. Breathe deep - it will come to you!

    Love the pictures of the girls too. I miss those days. :-}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kiki! It's a weird place...but this break is definitely helping. I have lots of ideas and I'm sitting on my hands to keep from doing them NOW. :)

      Delete
  9. Enjoy your week of reading and beachcombing!

    Code Name Verity is on my TBR pile, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh...how I wanted to go to Macbeth this year -- it's my favorite Shakespeare play, hands down -- but our little mewling 7-week-old would probably not be a good tag-along :)

    -Liz H.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts