On bookworthiness

In my experience, there are two kinds of "still-gotta-lot-to-learn" writers. There are the melodramatists, whose prose is so purple it looks like it's trying to hide in a field of violets. These writers are really fun to critique, and I mean that in the best possible way. 98% of the time you can point to the flowery bits and they'll blush and say, "I know..." and strike out the adjectives. Their failing is a direct result of the virtue of recognizing beauty. Purple prose is often beautiful--it just doesn't fit into narratives as often as we'd sometimes like. If you use it selectively, it makes the rare moments shine.
Then there are those in the "writing should be realistic" camp. No purple prose here. No adjectives. But sitting through a reading of this kind of new writing is excruciating. I once (a long time ago) listened to about twenty minutes of a "story" in which the main character ate breakfast, took out the trash, said hello to her neighbors and looked at their dogs. Nothing happened. After another critiquer gently pointed this out to the author, she responded, "But it's true. I'm writing about a real person and that's what happened."
I wish I could make a big poster:

Just because it happened 
doesn't mean it's interesting. 

Some things just aren't worth writing about. Okay, that's not quite true. They may be worth writing about, but you'd better be careful to write about them in a way that's unique or beautiful if you want your readers to care about it.
To be fair, I'd have to hang this poster by my own desk. One of the problems with writing really early in the morning is that sometimes, when I'm running on about four hours of sleep, I write prose that seems like it's trying to lull me back into slumber. I often have to go back later and cut out boring dialogue or random going-from-one-place-to-the-next bits that get in the way of the scene.
I'm lucky, though, because I have a five-year-old daughter. Five-year-old girls, it seems, are natural boring-ness detectors. This morning Lucy and I were telling a "back-and-forth" story--it was the fourth in a series of such tales, and I was getting a little burned out. It went like this:
Lucy: Once upon a time there was a girl named Flora who was so tiny that she wore dresses made from flower petals.
Me: Flora was very hungry. She thought, "Hmm, I sure wish I could have a hamburger."
Lucy stopped me right there. "Um, Mama," she said, "Hamburger sandwiches do not make stories more beautifuller. Now we're going to have to start all over again."

Comments

  1. LOL, I would have to agree the hamburger does not fit. Anyway, not if the goal is a beautifuller story. Lucy sounds a LOT like my granddaughter, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see your granddaughter often, Marcia! That age is so much fun. :)

      Delete
  2. So funny! Lucy makes a great story filter.

    People aften ask me if my first book is a true story, since I named the characters after my children. The answer is NO, the feelings are "true" but the story isn't – if I told a "true" account about my kids, I'm afraid it would be very boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I think making sure the feelings are true is the most important part of a story. The ones in your books are so lifelike, and that is what makes them delightful!

      Delete
  3. Lucy is spot on. I would say things like, and then they all went to bed :) and my children would shout NOOOO. Hey, at least they didn't start all over.

    Great post. Just because it happened doesn't mean we have to write it that way. I am guilty of this and should make a big poster for myself. Hee hee ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...maybe if the books don't work out I can just make motivational posters for writers, huh?
      And yes, if I had known I was going to have to start all over, I would have been a little more careful with my story choices. Next time...:)

      Delete
  4. I love this! Just b/c it happened, doesn't mean it's interesting! Yes, we have to be careful to keep that plotline going. I have a definite affinity for "purple prose"--it's why I love classics. There are generally several sentences in a classic I simply have to underline and/or memorize, it's so poetic. BUT that doesn't keep the book moving along. I still try to throw in a little purple prose in my books, something people can sink their teeth into, but not so much that my editor will think I've body-swapped with a poet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy will definitely be a novelist someday! And a good one! :)

    I have gone through both these stages simultaneously. I have tried to write beautifully about very boring things "because they're real." ha ha!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a charming story! Lucy, clearly, has innate storytelling abilities! Is 5 too young to critique other work too?? :-) LOL - you're lucky to have such a wonderful writing partner!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great crit partners are worth their weight in gold! This is so true and a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts