The myth called "free time"

I've been seriously wishing I could bilocate lately, except I can't imagine what that would do to my brain. Still, the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day is frustrating.
Now, I'm able to spend lots of time with my little girls (they're already growing up so quickly!) and writing squeezes itself in nicely most days. By some miracle even more mysterious than bilocation, my house even stays decently clean most of the time.
But then there are the things relegated to "when I have a free moment." These include: resting, weeding the garden, watching movies, reading all the books I want to, learning more languages, advanced cooking/baking (I so want to learn to make a souffle), knitting, sewing, and so on.
The problem is, no moment is really free. Every time I start to do one of these things, I question whether I shouldn't be doing something better with my time.
So I cheat. I do multiple things at once. I might not be tackling souffles yet, but you can often find me baking cinnamon bread or apple pie with the girls, while listening to an audiobook. Or knitting while watching a movie in French (that should count towards learning another language, right? ;). As usual with blogging, I am typing this while nursing the baby.
The one thing I can't seem to ever make time for: rest.
Any suggestions?

Comments

  1. I can't think of any way to combine resting with anything... imagine trying to sleep while baking with the girls!? :)

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am just the same with free time. The moment I start to do one of those "free time" activities, I stop and wonder what I'm overlooking. That is, what I SHOULD be doing with this time. So I think permitting ourselves to have free time is a big first step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sweetie ... you put me to shame. I've never been much of a multi-tasker. Even if I listen to music, I find that it is all that I can do! Too bad that we *need* our rest. I try hard to keep Sundays work-free. Of course, there is the usual feeding of the family and cleaning up to do, and pet care, but I refrain from doing the extras.

    Alas, I have no advice, but to simply enjoy your free time, whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest is overrated! There'll be plenty of time for that when you're old. :) Just kidding!

    You are one amazing lady! I cannot multitask like this and I am extremely impressed with you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to wait for free time to do things and realized I would never get done what I wanted to have done. I have since picked up scheduling in time for what I want to do.

    Just found your blog. Looking forward to what you have to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sister just recommended your blog on my Facebook page and I am checking you out. I have written many a post while nursing too. Isn't it amazing the things you can accomplish while nursing a baby?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts