You should keep a journal...

...because someday you will have something to laugh over.
I recently came across my sporadically-kept childhood journal, from when I was 10 years old. I moved around a lot as a kid and wrote so many letters to friends that I never had the strong desire to bare my soul to a diary. However, amidst the records of basketball game scores, there was one gem:
"Dear Diary,
Today I folded a load of laundry for Mom. Did I ever tell you I love folding laundry?"
Wha....?!
You're right--this picture is totally unrelated. But it makes me smile!
Seriously, though, I've recently started journaling again, and I've found it to be an excellent practice to keep my writing muscles limber. Sometimes all I write about is cute things my kids said that I want to remember, like, "Lucy: Well, I would tell you the truth, but if I told you the truth you would make me sit in the corner for a really really long time..." or reflections on daily life, like, "I hate folding laundry!" :)
But just getting pen to paper for a few minutes makes it easier to put fingers to keyboard later. On a rare occasion it will give me a really good idea that will make its way into a manuscript.
I confess I'm still having difficulty with the "every day" aspect that journaling implies. (Fellow etymologists will recognize the "jour" in journal from the French for "day".) Any advice?

Comments

  1. I used to be so good at keeping a journal. I'm kind of sad I dont do it at all now. My kids are young and they say the funniest thing. I don't think I ever loved folding laundry though..ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh. Actually, laundry is one of the things that I do have a handle on. And I love hanging out clothes to dry.

    I throw away my journals and don't write in it every day either. It's for me and I don't have to stick to anybody's rules.

    By the way, you will probably enjoy a slim gem of a book by Kathleen Norris. the Quotidian Mysteries; Laundry, Liturgy and Women's Work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to write every day in a journal, but my journal has become pretty much only a Bible-reading journal now. I'll write down some big things like-- "Today is So-and-so's birthday and we're doing such-and-such," but I don't write about my life like I used to. I do find it hilarious to go back to my old journals and read what I wrote. I was always so melodramatic!! And always fighting with my sister about something. I came across an entry that said, "If I ever get published, I am NOT dedicating a book to my sister!!!!" :)

    Amy
    P.S. Folding laundry. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! That is so fun. I crack up at my journals from my youth. My 8 year old is wanting to learn how to do laundry. He finds it fascinating, although I hate it. Funny how things change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Gems like that make it sound totally worth it. And I completely believe it is worth it. However, it doesn't mean I actually take the time to do it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts