A Slightly-Dramatized Story of the Mayflower and Things for which I am Thankful


Once upon a time, a boat-ful of intrepid men and women fled the religious persecution of Europe to find freedom in the New World. (I won't digress about the religious persecution and bigotry they brought with them...History books clean these things up so nicely.)
On one stormy day, John Howland, an upright young man much respected by his fellow travelers, fell into the icy waters of the Atlantic. Only the quick thinking and brave actions of his shipmates saved him from perishing in the waves.
I like to imagine that Doctor Samuel Fuller, perhaps with the aid of his clever 12-year-old nephew Sam, helped to restore John to health. Perhaps John and the young Sam formed a fast friendship, perhaps John stood by Sam's side when his parents died in the illness that ravaged the boat that winter. Maybe they knew even then that fate had brought them together.
Hundreds of years later, Sam Fuller's many-times-great granddaughter met a young man named Mark Hough in the gardened walkway next to their church. Immediately she was drawn to the rich timbre of his voice, his friendly face, his honest, kind smile....traits, just possibly, that he inherited from his many-times-great grandfather, John Howland, who once narrowly escaped death after he fell off a boat.
The girl, whose name is Faith, is very, very grateful that he was saved.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day tomorrow!

Comments

  1. And Faith's youngest sister is very happy and grateful about that, too. :)

    Happy Thanksgiving, Faithy!

    Love,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have goose bumps!!

    I'm thankful he pulled him from the sea, too, and that our paths also crossed.

    Happy thanks and giving day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story and one more confirmation (for me) that we are connected with those we love forever.

    I hope you and your beautiful family have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Faith!

    xo
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible tale! I read it to my daughter, and she loved it. How wonderful for your ancestors to have crossed paths like that!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this true? How wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recounted like a true historical fiction writer! I must hear more! This is a thrilling tale, and even more so because it is true history. Wow. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And it is exactly a story like this that makes me realize that nothing is coincidence, that everything is orchestrated by our Creator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!! And my ancestors knew yours! They were right there with yours - my relatives, John Alden,
    Priscilla Mullins and John Smith talked, ate and shared close quarters with both your family relatives on that Mayflower trip. And here we are now years later conversing in a blog cabin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts