Fess up: what genres do you write and read?

Little post today, as I'm catching up from a few crazy days.
Since I don't have much time to write, and since one of my favorite things about blogging is learning about other writers and readers, I'll let you do some of the work. :)
So...what genres do you all write--and why do you love that genre?
And are they the same genres you read the most?
As you know, I write historical fiction--which happens to be my favorite genre to read. Oddly enough, another favorite genre to read--though I've never written any--is dystopian.
Or maybe it's not so odd. My newest WIP centers around the world of the French Revolution. The more research I do, the more I realize President Snow of The Hunger Games had nothin' on Robespierre and Napoleon.
Hmm, maybe from now on I will tell people I write historical dystopian novels...

Comments

  1. I write Sci-fi and Fantasy. I mostly write adult and YA, but I'm toying with an idea right now that would only work in MG. I like these genres mostly because they provide a much more scope for the imagination. It boils down to how much fun I can have while writing! What sorts of crazy, horrible, outlandish, fascinating, bizarre stuff can I make work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write everything from PB to YA, also a bit for adults. I write the educational science stuff because that's my background, I enjoy bringing science to kids, and I get paid for it. I love YA, both contemporary and historical and especially stories about moral choices, trying to understand the core values of my characters. I write PBs for their brevity and poetry. Love writing for magazines because I always have too many ideas and most are not book-worthy.

    I read a lot of historical fiction, literary fiction, science, philosophy, and apologetics.

    Here's hoping things get less crazy-busy for you over the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving, but will miss all our family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proof again that truth is stranger than fiction! :)

    I like historical and dystopian, too, but I read mostly contemporary YA and that's what I write.

    Hope you can find some time to write very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write what I read for the most part - suspense, urban fantasy and dystopian. All three have some aspect of the 'what if', which is why I think they all draw me.

    The 'for the most part' means I'll pretty much read anything if the mood strikes me, but I'm not interested in writing everything. Your historical dystopian idea sounds interesting, for instance, but I don't think I could write it. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 3 WIPs: dystopian, contemporary, and historical. :) I enjoy reading them all. So far, I'm not that hot on steampunk. I don't think I'd write hard sci-fi or high fantasy, and don't read a lot of those either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read historicals, fantasy, and romance.

    And I write historical fantasy (with some romance thrown in), so I'm combining everything I love!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts