"Why in the world would you want to write for children?"

"The Children of Martial Caillebotte" by Renoir
It's one of those questions people will never stop asking—the mean-hearted version of “Where do you get your ideas?”

I know you all have your own answers, from intellectual justifications to blowing raspberries in the faces of the lunatics who would dare to ask such a thing. Generally I smile and give a vague answer, realizing that someone ignorant enough to ask that probably won't understand my reasons. But I have them, of course.

This is what I'm saying in my head:

1. There is, or should be, a natural reverence for the child. Just as we naturally step back in awe at great things and people, it is human nature to feel awe at the very sight of a child. There is something hugely mysterious about this primal reaction, and I won't even try to come up with a definitive explanation. Is it a child's natural innocence or purity? Is it their need for help and their complete trust that it will be given? I don't know the answer...but I do know that it is only adults of a twisted nature who don't feel this reverence.

2. This reverence leads to a responsibility to protect and help and love children. They deserve it intrinsically, as young human beings. We also owe it to them from a completely worldly standpoint: children quite literally are our future. If we don't give them joy and hope and wisdom and understanding now, we're damaging not only their futures but our own.

3. Less philosophically, children have an understanding of fun that the majority of adults have lost. Some strange gene seems to appear somewhere around age 22 which suddenly makes adults lose their ability or inclination or freedom to play. Not playing means missing out on an entire way of experiencing and appreciating the world. As Peter Pan sang in the old, musical version: “If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, never grow up, not me!” How can you see the beauty in a tree if you won't even climb it? And if you've closed your mind to simple beauty, I feel sorry for you, but I'm not interested in writing for you.

4. Children think for themselves and never let critics decide for them what is good or not. Thinking outside the box is not important to them because they don't even know there is a box.

5. At the same time, children are the harshest critics. They will never like something just because they're “supposed to.” When they admire, they do so in complete honesty.

6. Your childhood defines your life. Don't even try to argue otherwise, because every philosopher, psychologist and scientific study will prove you wrong. I would like to be part of that definition. I don't think I could ask for a greater role than that.

7. Writing for children is more challenging. I think I'm smart enough.

8. As Theodor (Seuss) Geisel said, “Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” (That's usually the one I'm thinking as I smile and give the vague answer.) If I ever write books for adults, it's going to be the one with some good, solid childlike qualities who are going to read them.

9. So, my last answer, “Why in the world wouldn't I?”

Comments

  1. Amen especially to #6. Our growing up experiences shape us profoundly. I too want to part of helping kids cope with hard things and find beauty and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a much more interesting and compelling (and much more important) question:

    "Why in the world wouldn't you want to write for children?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I especially like #3. Play on! Play on! I don't write for children, but I completely understand why people do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such a strong connection to the books I read as a child. I think they meant more to me than any I have read as an adult. I have adult favorites, but they don't have the same emotional connection that I had to books I read as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I love #8. I teach pre-school. The kind of people who ask evil questions already assume I'd have to be mad to enjoy what I do ;)

    It's like the people who ask why on earth anyone would want to have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post! All amazing reasons.

    I think my biggest reason is that I don't--I write for myself. I write the kinds of things I like to read. If they happen to fall under the market label of children's fiction, then so be it.

    Also, pardon if I wax a bit nostalgic here, but children's fiction has the most TRUTH in it. I got hung up at an early age on being at a post-high school reading level when I was eight and thought I had to read adult books. Of course, being an avid fantasy reader, I dove headfirst into the adult fantasy section. SQUICK. It's like those authors took everything I loved from children's books and twisted it, fetishized it, until it was nothing even remotely human.

    MG and YA are nothing BUT human--shiny, bright, unique. Which is not to say they're all roses and sunshine (LIVING DEAD GIRL is, to date, the most emotionally crippling book I've ever read, and it's YA), but they exude truths and humanity--and learning.

    And that's what I want to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so articulate, Faith. Thank you for putting these thoughts together and sharing them. I find it odd that anyone would question writing for children... Who do they think is going to take over this planet in a few years? What do they think is our most sacred responsibility as a culture? Why shouldn't children have the very best we have to offer?
    It's a comfort knowing that people like you are going to fill the bookshelves of tomorrow's children!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reminded of that famous quote (in our circles) by Madeleine L'Engle: "You have to write whichever book it is that wants to be written. And then, if it's going to be too difficult for grownups, you write it for children."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all your comments and support!
    Shayda--Yeah, I forgot that point: I write children's books because I read children's books. That doesn't mean I can't or won't read adult books...but I never tend to like them as much.
    Molly--ditto. I'm glad my kids will be reading your books. :)
    Jed--that is a super quote; I had forgotten it. If I was the sewing type, I would embroider it on a pillow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post, Faith! :) Several of your points could go in "quote lists." :) The entire post made me smile. :) Well said!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts