Asking the right questions

You know you've done it. You're signed up for a conference, just managed to get the last slot of critique sessions with your dream editor. You're trying to keep a few sips of coffee down before you go in, and you squeeze your eyes shut and whisper, “Please please please let her love it. Please let her want to acquire it! Please please please!”

Or you've entered a contest and begged, “Please let me win!”

Or you've read your first chapter at a critique group and prayed, “Please don't let them find anything wrong with it!”

I think for anyone with an optimistic personality, these vainglorious prayers are going to be a constant temptation. Of course, if you're among the millions who've had these thoughts, then chances are you've realized what dangerous thoughts they are. Ultimately, they are fruitless. Heaven forbid (and it does, of course) that such prayers be answered just as we asked. Think of that first manuscript you finished; how you thought it was perfect and wonderful and everyone would love it. Think then of all the flaws you've fixed since then, all the finesse you've added, all the details and subtlety and metaphor that could only make its way into the manuscript after you'd spent weeks and months in thoughtful critique mode. Would you really have preferred to see that original manuscript in the hands of heartless reviewers and readers?

That doesn't mean, however, that we should shut down our optimism and hope for the worst. Instead, we need to learn to ask the right questions. Instead of, “Please let me sign with the editor of my dreams at this conference,” we should pray, “Please let me form good connections and friends today who will help me continue in my work.” Replace “Let me win,” with “Let me receive affirmation.” Don't think, “Let them think it's perfect,” but “Let them point out my flaws so that I will understand and be able to improve as a writer.”

It's so easy to see publication as the ultimate goal that it's easy to overlook the best goal: to grow as an artist and allow your work to grow as a work of art.

With that in mind, please enjoy the post; I hope it inspires you to leave a gazillion comments. :) Seriously, the best to you all in your writing and all your pursuits. Happy Tuesday.

Comments

  1. Very good points! It's easy to get caught up in wanting to get published, but learning the craft should be the first priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. I'm totally onboard. And I was having a discussion yesterday with one of my crit partners about how even though it hurt to trim SPITFIRE as much as I did, I'm such a better writer for it.

    If I'd had novels published before SPITFIRE, word count wouldn't be much of an issue; and while I think SPITFIRE's good, it's gotten so much BETTER.

    Aside from the word count, even though there's this panicky little flutter in my heart whenever I think of querying, I know it's better to wait. I know I can present a novel I'm [almost] completely satisfied with.

    And you're totally right--that all amounts to asking questions, the chief one being, "How can I make this better?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally wise approach!

    Your blog, BTW, is beautiful. I have been one of your followers, then recently because of a glitch in Blogger had to close out my old blog and do a new one, almost same title; I exported then imported it but lost my followers. So I'm having to re-follow the ones I want to keep in touch with!

    I love children's and YA literature. Good luck with all you're doing in these fields.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reminder Faith! It is easy to hope our writing is loved - but the revision never ends does it? There is always room for improvement in most anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! This is the way of wisdom when it comes to publishing. You've hit the nail on the head. I think it's true in general that we should be thankful when our prayers aren't answered exactly as we pray them. We usually don't know what's good for us!! I am so thankful my first prayers for publication were denied. It would be embarrassing to see that book on the shelves -- as it was-- right now. Yikes! Horrible thought. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. For reasons I won't go into publicly now, I've learned to ask not for specific things but more "Thy will be done."

    By the way, we share the same taste even in aesthetics ... love the changing leaves. You write a beautiful blog and I'm looking forward to picking up your book. A Tassy Award. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts