Poetry Friday: Open Hands

Here's another piece of my original poetry for today's Poetry Friday. This one is still pretty raw and revealing for me; I wrote it in May after the loss of my baby, Karol Emmanuel, in my first trimester of pregnancy.


I knelt with palms open, empty, offering.
I prayed, “Take my control, Lord; I trust in you.”
How could I have known what you would ask?

I trust you, Lord, I trust you.
But my empty hands are aching now.
Do you weep with me, as you wept at Lazarus’ tomb?

I kneel here now, my tears let loose.
I trust you, Lord, my hands are open.
Did you greet my little one with open hands, with tears of joy?

Did you wake his sleeping eyes to gaze upon your face?
Was his first cry a song of praise?
I trust you, Lord, I praise you still.

How could I have known what you would give?
The courage you would show me in my grief?
The love that you would pour into my trusting, empty hands?


If you have ever lost a baby to miscarriage, please feel free to send me a private email or leave a comment. I try to carry a special intention with me into labor; when I deliver this new baby in March, I want to pray for all of you, and also to beg the intercession of all your little ones in heaven!

Comments

Popular Posts