November Quick Lit: What We're Reading!

Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy today to share what I have been reading lately! (I was going to share all my kids' reads--but that started getting ridiculously long. Problems of having good readers, I guess! Anyway, I'll share a couple favorites we've enjoyed together, but feel free to bug me in the comments if you'd like to know what my 12, 10, and 8-year-old daughters have been devouring.)



(Reminder that if you click through any of the images below to buy these books--or make other purchases--from Amazon, I'll receive a tiny percentage of the sale. As always, I recommend you buy them from a local Indie bookstore if you can--but if you're already shopping at Amazon, I'd appreciate the support!)

Here's a look at my stack from the past month...perhaps shy of a random title or two!



The Fountains of Silence, by Ruta Sepetys
You've already heard of this one, right? Ruta Sepetys is a master of historical fiction. Her characters, her settings, and the subtlety of her plots astounds me. In her newest, she tackles the oh-so-complicated setting of Spain in the 1950's. As any great book of historical fiction will do, this made me run to the encyclopedia and various websites to research the time and background for myself--talk about a brushed-over bit of history! I recommend this highly.



The Mass of Brother Michel, by Michael Kent
I'm about halfway through this one, and truly savoring it. I had begun it back in May--but after miscarrying Baby #7 (Karol Emmanuel), my sister recommended I set it aside for a while, as it deals with a great deal of death and disappointment. However, having picked it back up mid raging pregnancy hormones this time around... I will say that it deals with death and disappointment in a manner that reminds us of the beauty and necessity of these parts of life.
The Mass of Brother Michel was written by a Catholic, and--I daresay--for Catholics. If you're not Catholic, you will doubtless love the lush historical setting (16th Century France), the wonderful characters, and the themes of discovering true Love, true vocation, and the worth of suffering. You might be annoyed by the rather obvious bits of apologetics thrown in. Fair warning.



Saints by Our Side: Francis de Sales and Jane de Chantal, by Wendy Wright
I'd like to note that this one is currently under $5 on Amazon, so it's well worth clicking over (just click on the image), and picking this up as an Advent read!
I've known about these two saints most of my life, but overlooked them as "typical saints," as if there was any such thing. Last year, they started stalking me. Have you ever been stalked by a saint? I kept finding references to them...people asked me what I knew about them--over and over and over. After the third time saying, "Um, not very much, actually..." I was embarrassed enough to do a little research.
The first thing I found was this quote by Jane: "Hold your eyes on God and leave the doing to Him. That is all the doing you have to worry about." This was so precisely what I needed in my life at that moment, that I dove into learning more. I'm happy to say that Jane is now such a dear friend that I will likely name my next baby girl after her. ;)
Francis and Jane were all about developing deep "heart to heart" relationships with God, and with "Living Jesus" in the world. Perhaps they're exactly what we all need in our lives right now.



Hallowe'en Party, by Agatha Christie
Listened to this on audiobook, read by Hugh Fraser. It's not really a remarkable mystery, but Hugh Fraser is a remarkable performer.



When Life Gives You Pears, by Jeannie Gaffigan
You wouldn't think a book about a brain tumor would be hilarious and uplifting--but this was.



The Catholic Hipster Handbook, edited by Tommy Tighe
Finally read this, just in time for the sequel to come out. :) I thought this would be a lot more, well, "fluffy." But it has real substance, real humor, and real orthodoxy. I enjoyed it a lot...even though I'm not sure if I'm the target audience. I mean, I'm Catholic, and I listen to music on vinyls and go to Farmers' Markets and raise chickens and wear clothes from the 50's. But...I think I might just be plain ol' old-fashioned. And really bad with technology.



The Printed Letter Bookshop, by Katherine Raey
In a stack of mostly non-fiction, after months of mostly non-fiction, this was a delight! Katherine Raey is excellent at writing "Chick Lit" which is sweet and relaxing--but always meaningful and worthwhile. This one made me want to run right out to my local bookstore and hug it.


Berries in the Scoop, by Lois Lenski
(This image won't take you to Amazon--because it's out of print, sadly! Publishers, can we bring back these gems?)
Hardly anyone can write early Middle Grade the way Lois Lenski could! This is one of a series of chapter books about children around the U.S., and focuses on a family from the Azores now living in Cape Cod. I found this at a used book store, and had to grab it for myself before handing it on to the girls--but Ginny is enjoying it now!



Best Friends, by Shannon Hale
Just like her original graphic novel memoir, Real Friends, Best Friends is funny, engaging, and IMPORTANT. Both books have helped my daughters navigate the complicated world of childhood friendships, and helped me navigate helping them through that world. My girls did complain that there is too much about boys in this book. ;) But, hey...that's sixth grade for you. I wish I'd had this to read when I was twelve and annoyed at some of my friends for caring more about boys than rollerskating races or L. M. Montgomery.



A Race Around the World, by Caroline Starr Rose
This was a picture book we all enjoyed together--and it's super for all ages! (I reviewed it more fully here.)



Little House picture books ("My First Little House Books")
Finally, these ones come out, book by book, at the beginning of each season. Laura Ingalls Wilder captured so well the feelings I associate with each new season; her fall and winter stories, particularly, make me savor every moment of curling up by the fire, bundling up to go outside, and enjoying being together as a family. If they're not part of your family's library yet, they should be! (Get a stack from the library and try them out if you don't believe me. ;)


Comments

  1. I agree with you about books that are out of print. It's very frustrating. My library does have a copy of Berries in the Scoop, so I requested it. Introducing Laura Ingalls Wilder to younger readers is great. I will look for those. A Race Around the World is on my list and I hope to get a copy soon. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. What a wonderful selection of books. Thank you--I didn't even know the existence of some of these books so will be checking them out. And yes, I've been stalked by saints too--St. Alphonsus. I didn't want to read his book but he kept bugging me and finally I did. His 12 Steps to Holiness is something I refer to often. He's become a dear friend. But if I'd had another boy, he would be John, though I briefly fantasized about Alphonsus (names beginning with vowels are murder for me because of my stutter). It's so great to have good friends up high. And the Gaffigan book looks good. I got Dad is Fat for Michael a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you think of Dad is Fat? I was thinking Mark might enjoy it. :)

      Delete
    2. P.S. Because Mark enjoys Jim Gaffigan's humor, not because Mark is fat. ;) Just to clarify.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts