Happy May!

To all of those of you patient enough to still be following me after my months of absence, my thanks.

I've been busy growing a human. :)

You'd think after five other pregnancies, I'd have gotten into the swing of things by now, but this first trimester threw me for a loop. I was exhausted, to the point of barely being able to lift my limbs some mornings, more nauseated than usual (though I'm not gonna complain, because I know a lot of women have it worse), and basically found it almost impossible to do anything other than rest and try to get some food down. This year's successful completion of the homeschool year brought to you by: my husband Mark, amazing self-motivation on the part of my children, workbooks, and the Magic School Bus on Netflix.

Now that I'm in the second trimester, my energy has miraculously returned, the nausea is greatly relieved, and I'm dying to get back to a regular writing schedule--here and in my "real" writing. I'm going to spend the rest of May coming up with some blogging ideas and drafts, and hopefully by the beginning of June I'll return to at least a semi-consistent posting schedule.

In the meantime, some happy news, perfect for the month of May:

Mark's most recent painting, Magnificat, won third prize in the Madison Art Society's juried competition. If you're local, you can view it at the Scranton Library in Madison for another week.

Magnificat (oil and gold leaf on damascened panel) by Mark Langdale Hough


This painting is a study for a much larger painting of the Annunciation, Mark's most ambitious work to date, and very much the work of his heart. Please pray for him as he completes it, because as all you artists know, creating is hard work riddled with discouragement and resistance and a million failures for every success.

Again, thanks for sticking around, friends.

Comments

  1. The painting is gorgeous! Those hands must be difficult to paint but so realistic, capturing both the tension and letting go. Congratulations to Mark!!! And for all the other things he does and for finishing off this year's homeschool. And new baby #6!!! I'm glad you are feeling better and have more energy. Just in time to enjoy summer fun.

    Although I sing Magnificat whenever I'm overjoyed, I still associate it with the Visitation, so why is this part of the Annunciation? I can't wait to see the rest and will definitely include Mark in my prayers. You are such a lovely and talented family. Really, your blog title is apt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And excellent question about the title. Mark did a lot of thinking and praying about what emotion(s) to express in his Annunciation painting, as we've never cared for the ones where Mary seems scared and timid; this just never fit with our idea of her faithful acceptance of God's plan. Reading a little ahead in scripture to the Visitation gave us the biggest clue to how Mary responded to God's plan for her..."My soul magnifies the Lord...my spirit exalts in God my Savior!" So even though she first expresses that aloud at the Visitation, it seemed appropriate for the title--and emotion expressed--in this study for the Annunciation.

      Delete
    2. That makes perfect sense. I also don't like the swooning paintings of Mary during the Crucifixion. We know she *stood* at the foot of the cross.

      Delete
    3. OMG, I'm just now catching up on your blog and I see this?!?! CONGRATULATIONS! Email coming...

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness this is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts