When your Chrome extension gives you the life advice you didn't know you needed

Carl Larrson's Studio
Today I opened my browser determined to write a blog post, completely unsure of what to write. I'm in a writing slump...I have to fight to get ideas on the page...rejection in combination with some chronic pain is wearing me down and making me re-examine my life and surroundings with [whatever's the metaphorical opposite of rose]-colored-glasses.

Is writing a waste of my time? Just look at this kitchen--there's a giant patch of tile missing in front of the sink; the cupboards need to be painted; I need Gordon Ramsey to come yell about my lack of decorating skills. And homeschooling...sure, I love it, but it means my kids are home all day pulling out books and creating art projects that I have to hang up somewhere and proudly stationing their new rock and shell collections on my dining room table. Wait, make that my scribbles-at-the-toddler's-spot shabby kitchen table that is way too small for my family that is making do until we can buy or make a real dining room table. I sat down in the old wicker chair by the kitchen window and pulled the laptop onto my lap, thinking these exact words: "Oh, this stupid, broken chair."

And my "Momentum for Chrome" home page (I highly recommend this app, if you use Chrome, by the way) gave me the splash of cold water in my face that I needed:

"If most of us are ashamed by shabby clothes and shoddy furniture,
let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies."
-Albert Einstein

Yep. There are books all over my living room because my children and I have been diving into learning. The scribbles on my table are a sign that art has been created there. And my shoddy wicker chairs deserve a spot on my acknowledgments page if I ever get published, because I wrote virtually the entire first draft of my last book curled up on their faded, torn, stained cushions. 

Carrying on.

Comments

  1. This is a lovely post, Faith. A lived-in house is a creative house. As much as we sometimes wish our houses looked like something out of a magazine, just think what a cold, impersonal place that would be to live and dream and create. The title of your blog, after all, is Life's An Art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embrace the chaos, I say! You're doing an incredible job homeschooling your kids and giving them the education, philosophy, and morals to be outstanding adults who will look back on these years and realize what a wonderful, loving mother they had. And they will pass that on to their kids, and so on. You are creating a legacy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful quote that presses against our culture's obsession with buying stuff. Better to be rich in kindness and creativity. Carrying on here too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! Your encouragement is gold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great quote and I'm glad you opened up your browser without knowing what to write. You're living a creative and joyful life; doesn't mean it's not hard, so perfectly fine to kvetch. I am praying you will get a big break soon. V.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts