2016 Books I'm Thankful For


Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone!

While I probably could write a post about two thousand and sixteen actual books that I'm glad are in the world, I'm gonna focus a little here and just rave about some of this year's releases that have filled my 2016 with goodness, truth, and beauty! Hopefully you'll discover some that are new to you--or we can just bond over shared favorites. :)

PICTURE BOOKS

Shy, by Deborah Freedman
This is a beautiful example of understated illustration and language working together to wrap your emotions around their little fingers. Gorgeous and meaningful, with a delightful surprise at the end. My oldest, Miss 100% Extrovert, told me, "You know, this book has really helped me think about what it would be like to be shy like my sisters." So it's not just for the introverted among you! :)

Lucy's Lovey, by Betsy Devany
Sweet, sweet, hilarious story about a little girl who loses her beloved Stinky Baby doll. For a period of two weeks, my 3-year-old fell asleep every night cuddling it against her chest.

My Dog's a Chicken, by Susan Montanari
Because: chickens. :)

Nobody Likes a Goblin, by Ben Hatke
When anyone asks my 7-year-old what her favorite book is, she answers, "Ben Hatke." And then goes on to explain that he is an author and illustrator, not a book, but that she loves everything he's written. We all do.

MIDDLE GRADE NOVELS
There are too many here to talk up each one, but be assured that if they made this list, they're spectacular! I've included genres to help you choose. :)

Sweet Home Alaska, by Carole Estby Dagg (20th Century Historical Fiction)

All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook, by Leslie Connor (Contemporary)

Scourge, by Jennifer Nielsen (Fantasy? Not magic, but set in another world. Fresh dystopian.)

The Inquisitor's Tale, by Adam Gidwitz (13th Century Historical Fiction)

Raymie Nightingale, by Kate DiCamillo (20th Century Historical Fiction)

Moo, by Sharon Creech (Contemporary Novel-in-Verse)

Waiting for Augusta, by Jessica Lawson (20th Century Historical Fiction)

Cloud and Wallfish, by Anne Nesbet (20th Century "Historical Thriller")

Hour of the Bees, by Lindsay Eager (Magical Realism)

Wolf Hollow, by Lauren Wolk (20th Century Historical Fiction--N.B. not for the faint of heart)

Mighty Jack, by Ben Hatke (Graphic Novel Fantasy)

The Turn of the Tide, by Rosanne Parry (Contemporary)

Absolutely Truly, by Heather Vogel Frederick (Contemporary)


YOUNG ADULT
Um, I've been a bad YA reader this year. I only read one new YA title. I've needed to *research* for Middle Grade! (And thank goodness, because it's been a great year for MG.)

Secrets in the Snow, by Michaela MacColl. This is a spectacular historical mystery set in the late 18th century--and its protagonist is none other than teenage Jane Austen.


ADULT
Very funny. I thought you knew me better.  (Actually, I did read a recent adult title or two, but nothing I considered noteworthy, unfortunately. Sorry!)

What are the books of 2016 that you are most thankful for?

(Note: I'm purposely not linking to these items...not because I'm being lazy, but because it would really, really help your local businesses if you bought them there instead of through Amazon. Consider printing this list out and bringing it along to your indie bookstore as a source of ideas. If the books aren't in stock, booksellers are always more than happy to order them for you!)

Comments

  1. I can't believe I haven't read any of the picture books you listed! I better get on it! My favorite picture book of 2016 is THE FORGETFUL KNIGHT by Michelle Robinson. Middle grade would have to be MOO by Sharon Creech. I haven't read many of this year's YA releases, but I did enjoy CALAMITY by Brandon Sanderson. But probably the best book I've read this year is adult fiction (of which I read VERY little)--Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy WORDS OF RADIANCE (not a 2016 publication, though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Goodreads list just got longer! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts