What We're Reading: Madeleine L'Engle on Advent


Madeleine L'Engle, besides being a brilliant writer of fantasy, was a woman who knew a thing or three about Advent. I've again been reading the collection of her writings (fiction, poetry, and meditations) on Advent and Christmas: Miracle on 10th Street and Other Christmas Writings, and am again struck by how profound she was.


Some highlights:

"As we move into Advent we are called to listen, something we seldom take time to do in this frenetic world of over-activity. But waiting for birth, waiting for death--these are listening times, when the normal distractions of life have lost their power to take us away from God's call to center in Christ."

"Advent is not a time to declare, but to listen, to listen to whatever God may want to tell us through the singing of the stars, the quickening of a baby, the gallantry of a dying man."

"Advent. That time of waiting even more trembling and terrible than the waiting between Good Friday and Easter Sunday."

"Come, Lord Jesus, quickly come
In your fearful innocence.
We fumble in the far-spent night
Far from lovers, friends, and home:
Come in your naked, newborn might.
Come, Lord Jesus, quickly come;
My heart withers in your absence."

(That last is from an incredible poem/hymn called "Forever's Start," printed in her journal The Irrational Season .)

With the girls, I've been reading aloud The Twenty-four Days Before Christmas, which is a rare gem in the world of kidlit, as it is actually a book about a family celebrating the season of Advent, singing Advent carols, and spending time together as a family as they prepare for Christmas as well as the birth of their newest sibling. We're loving it. If you're looking for a great longer-than-a-picture-book but shorter-than-a-novel book to read with your 5-to-10-year-olds, this would be perfect.


(Note: I'm an Amazon affiliate, so if you purchase any of these books by clicking through the image-links, I get a small percentage of the sale.)

Comments

  1. I do so enjoy MLE's writing and didn't know about this Austin-Advent book. Will have to look it up. By the way, my sister is a Christmas Eve baby and I can only imagine what it must've been like for my mother ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How did your sister feel about that birthday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves it now!!!!! Though sometimes she thought she got gypped because she only got one present for Christmas and birthday. We never did have a tradition of Christmas presents per se so she didn't mind too much until we moved to the US. But get this, she got married on Dec 23rd first time. I thought it was incredibly stupid, because it's the one date you have some control over ... and strangely enough, her daughter followed in her footsteps by getting married the day before her birthday as well :)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed 24 Days to Christmas. What a lovely book. I haven't read the Miracle on 10th Street, but I've found there's very few things by L'Engle that I don't like. One of my favorites is about her marriage, Two Part Intervention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Two Part Invention, too, Jenni! Probably one of the best books about marriage I've ever read.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for these recommendations, Faith! It's perfect timing, I'm just finishing Two Part Invention and am in the middle of the Wrinkle in Time series, so I've really been into L'Engle lately! I have no idea she had written anything about advent, I'll definitely have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! When I read Madeleine L'Engle's non-fiction, I always feel like I'm enjoying a cup of tea and a chat with a dear, and very wise, older sister. (But one who'd still totally have fun doing hair and playing cards and singing Christmas carols!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts