An Advent Prayer for Writers



"But Mary kept all these words, pondering them in her heart." 
-Luke 2:19

We, too, Mary, keep words--
we ponder them, cherish them, gather them up
like treasures 
spilled from children's tongues, 
gleaned from dictionary pages, 
shining out of Christmas cards.

Sometimes we hoard them,
keep our words close,
so we can open boxes of words on cloudy days,
and let the glory of sunlight pour out.

But you, Mary, released your words
--and The Word--
into the world,
at the appointed time.
You made words flesh,
giving yourself to give them life.

Help us, too, to be so giving.
Help us to find words, 
and embrace them,
in unexpected places, 
like the lips of shepherds.

Then let us, while we ponder, 
feed the words and let them grow.
And then let us free them
to go about the Father's business.

Let us magnify the Lord!

Comments

  1. Oh, Faith! I love this! To "free them to go about the Father's business" is certainly a high calling for all our words - but truly IS what our business should be. I am going to post this as a reminder for me. If it is not magnifying, perhaps it needs to be pondered a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful prayer-poem Faith! I wrestle with wanting to do it all for God and giving Him my best, not the mediocre, but along the way I lose (in)sight. Sigh ... your poem reminds me to be humble like the Holy Family. I don't think Mary crowed once about carrying the Creator. She pondered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, Faith. Love it, love it. I hope you had a fantastic Christmas and best wishes for a New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts