Books from my very own shelves--and a request (especially for authors who just had books release)!

This whole read-the-books-on-my-own-shelves-before-checking-any-out-from-the-library thing has been going pretty well. I did kinda sorta cheat by reading the handful of new books that I was given for my birthday and one e-galley I'd requested from Netgalley a while ago. But nonetheless, between May and now, I also read a dozen books that had been sitting on my shelf for...ever.

Here's what I read:

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette, by Jeanne Birdsall (I also read the latest book, but it was a birthday present, so I'm not counting it.)
The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling
The Fair Adventure, by Elizabeth Gray Vining
Meet the Austins, by Madeleine L'Engle
Summerhouse Time, by Eileen Spinelli
Carney's House Party, by Maud Hart Lovelace
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith
The Twits, by Roald Dahl
Comrade Don Camillo, by Giovanni Guareschi
The Arrival, by Shaun Tan
The Magician's Elephant, by Kate DiCamillo
The Queen of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner

Here's what I learned:

I have pretty good taste in the books I keep on my shelves. That sounds prideful, but I don't mean it that way. I just had this immense feeling of relief when I realized just how much I was loving the books from my own collection. I haven't had such a good run of book enjoyment in a while; there wasn't a single one that I started and didn't feel compelled to finish. However my brain does decide what books to purchase, it's working.

9252036


Some authors are really reliable. Several of the books read were by authors whose other books I'd loved. Why did I take so long to get around to reading these? And why haven't I read all the others?

80349

Reading books written a while ago can be quite helpful. As one of the books I'm working on now is set in 1903, it was great to actually read books written around that time (or about that time, by someone a lot closer to it than I am). It also can break you out of the rut of sounding like every other contemporary author.
7893


Reading books written a while ago can be dangerous if not done in moderation. It's a little too easy for me to slip into an archaic writing style that's a bit too slow-paced and description-heavy for today's tastes. Reading some contemporary work is important.

6345760

I'm definitely going to keep this up. While I will return to my frequent trips to the library, I'd like to read at least one book from my own shelf for every library book. At least until I catch up a little more.

40158

And now my request: now that the summer is almost over and baby is here, I'll be visiting the library (and book stores) again, could you please fill me in on the recent titles that I've missed? Did you have a book release in the last three months? Did you read any great recent releases? What should I be requesting?

Comments

  1. Faith, you do have good taste in buying books! And you'd enjoy my bookshelf too :) Alas, a lot of my language can still be archaic so I have to work hard at being contemporary. Maybe that's why I love historicals so much.

    I have a couple of new titles to recommend.
    The Safest Lie by Angela Cerritos (hey, didn't you meet me on her blog?)
    Clayton Stone, at Your Service by Ena Jones
    The rest of my reading is all ancient -- desert Fathers anyone? Hehe.

    I'm still miffed that you posted all these covers of books but not of you and baby G together enjoying a book. I think it's high time you let Lucy and Zoe run around with a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of reading books from the era when you're working on historical fiction, if only to pick up some of the slang from the time, and have a sense of what concerns were tip-of-the-mind back then.

    I've been drawn to women's fiction and literary more lately, after a decade of reading all YA all the time. I'm not really up on what's new in MG. I'm sure others will be happy to let you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years back I participated in the Clear Off Your Shelves Challenge, which was exactly the same idea. I wasn't super consistent, but I'd like to get back to it. One book I finally read a loved this summer (probably had it fifteen years) was No Two Alike - Those Maryknoll Sisters! It was just wonderful.

    Also, Francie Nolan and I are very, very good friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts