What We're Reading Wednesday

Today, to beat my pregnancy-brain blogging block, I decided to join Jessica of Housewifespice in “What We’re Reading Wednesday.”


The simple answer to that, this week as usual, is: way too much. I have a problem with reading too many books at the same time, especially when the giant belly makes it difficult to go up and down stairs retrieving my books. So I NEED one nearby every comfy place in the house.


I’m presuming you want more specifics, though, huh? :) So here goes:


1. Rose under Fire, by Elizabeth Wein.




I’ve read a lot of reviews stating that this wasn’t as good as Code Name Verity, but so far I emphatically disagree. Even though CNV’s gimmick worked incredibly well, I don’t think you need a gimmick to write a great book. Rose is straightforward and beautiful. The characters are real and complicated and show the best and worst of human nature--sometimes in the same person. Like CNV, it takes place in WWII and centers around the life a female pilot--obviously the author had a lot of “fun” researching the topic, and it completely fascinates me. Also like CNV, the themes are very mature and there’s some (quite justified) strong language, so it seems more like an adult book than a YA book--but mature teens could handle it.


2. Ben and Me, by Robert Lawson.


I’m reading this aloud to the girls, who are studying Franklin in American History. It’s told from the delightful point of view of Amos, a clever mouse who takes up residence in Ben’s fur cap and is generally responsible for all his most brilliant accomplishments. (Yes, yes, I know: another mouse book.) I never noticed it while reading it to myself as a kid/teen/adult (I liked it that much), but Lawson’s storytelling breaks all kinds of grammar rules and voice rules and totally gets away with it. For example, he uses both past and present tense in the same paragraph. But Amos’ voice wouldn’t be the same without it. It’s really genius storytelling, and we all love it.


3. Invitations to the World: Teaching and Writing for the Young, by Richard Peck.




This was a gift from my lovely friend Thea Guidone, and I’m so grateful for it--especially as the fact that Richard Peck had written a book on writing had somehow escaped my notice all this time. I love everything I’ve ever read by Mr. Peck, and I'm very much enjoying this so far.


4. Vendela in Venice, by Christina Bjork.





Another read-aloud to the girls, as a supplement to their study of Italy. They like this one much more than I do. To me, it reads more like a kids’ travel guide to Venice than a story, but they are so entranced by the fairy tale world of the city that they beg me to keep reading. I think perhaps it suffered slightly in the translation to English, as well; I wish I could read every book in its original language!


5. The Dark Frigate, by Charles Boardman Hawes.




Still plugging away at this early Newbery medalist. It’s SO much better than The Story of Mankind. But it got a little bogged down after the first several chapters, and I got a little distracted by the life of a fictional girl transport pilot, to be honest.


6. I told you I was reading way too much at once! #6 is Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo.


I just started this one so can’t say much yet, except that I’m pretty sure Kate DiCamillo is incapable of ever putting a word out of place. It’s funnier than her books tend to be, and it’s neat to see how good she is at humor on top of everything else.

So what are you reading?

Comments

  1. I haven't read DiCamillo's Flora and Ulysses yet! I'll have to check that one out. Ben and Me looks adorable; my nephews would probably love it. So cute it's told from the POV of a mouse living in Ben's cap!

    I'm reading four Stephen King novellas in his book collection Different Seasons. Next up is The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver.

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must share Ben and Me with your nephews! It's one of my favorite to recommend to MG-age boys.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy to see you on the link up! I want that Peck book ASAP. I'll have to search your archives for a Verity review. I checked it out but got scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hard book to read and raises some interesting moral questions, but just brilliantly written and beautiful.

      Delete
  3. That Peck book looks interesting. May have to request it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read like I do -- like a person at a buffet with eyes too big for her stomach! I thought ROSE was every bit as good as VERITY. Different, as the stories had to be. I sent both to my mother, who loved them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comparison made me giggle. I used to have this same problem at buffets when I was a kid, but now it's limited to books and crafting materials. :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read Flora and Ulysses yet but it is going on the top of the list I think. I too love Peck and had no idea he wrote a book about writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know about it! Peck's writing is masterful.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to reading Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy it--just make sure you're in a good mood first, or ready to cry. It's a difficult emotional ride at times.

      Delete
  7. Wow! You are reading a lot! But I shouldn't talk, that's pretty much what my bed-side table looks like. A bunch of books that I'm muddling through and trying to read at the same time. :0) We're kindred spirits. Looks like you have a lot of good ones to keep you busy. This is my first time to your blog, so Congrats on the pregnancy brain! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! It's good to see in these comments that I'm not the only one suffering from multiple book disorder. ;P

      Delete
  8. Lovely fare, something for mom, something for the girls, something to nurture the writer in you. I'll have to check out that Richard Peck book. Love his stuff, as well as Kate diCamillo. I didn't know EW had a new book. Will have to read it.

    I just finished Monfort's 33 day consecration (I was renewing with my sister), My Brother's Shadow (about WWI Germany), a couple of MG books that were not very stellar, so they shall remain unnamed, Writer magazine ... and I just ordered a book on Guadalupe. I have a gorgeous PB, but wanted something more meaty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, what's gorgeous PB? I've been feeling like little Genevieve has been somewhat neglected literary-wise with all the chapter-book reading I'm doing with her sisters, so I've been planning a big picture book haul for her next time we visit the library.

      Delete
    2. Oh, don't you worry about G. I read my kids Scientific American and Economist for the longest time (along with a few PBs) and they turned out just fine :)

      Delete
  9. I'm reading The Clockwork Princess right now. And guess what?! I'm going to go see Kate diCamillo in Nov! She's going to be at a library in Indianapolis. I'm so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Multiple Book Disorder is a genetically-inherited condition... in your case I think it came from your father! ^.^ And I "inherited" it from my mother!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished Flora and Ulysses. Loved it. Now I'm starting A Dog Called Homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great reading! I am currently reading Kate DiCamillo's The Tiger Rising and Borrowed Names by Jeannine Atkins. It is poems about Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C.J.Walker and Marie Curie and their daughters. It's really a neat book, especially the section on Laura and her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of "Rose Under Fire" so of course I must check it out! I've also heard very good things about Code Name Verity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so jealous! I want to read ROSE UNDER FIRE so badly! CODE NAME VERITY was fantastic. And I want to read Kate DiCamillo's newest because I love nearly all of her books. (And she does do humor well: Mercy Watson is hilarious.)

    How great that you're able to read so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts