Reason #437 why it's great to be a Writer-Mama

There's nothing better for honing your pitches than trying to explain a full-length novel to a 3 1/2-year-old.

Today mine climbed up onto my chair and stared at the laptop screen--I could see her fingers itching to pound out a few letters so I called over, "No! Don't touch that! It's Mama's writing, and it would not be good if you messed that up."

The hands pulled back. "Whatcha writing?"

"It's a story."

"What's it about?"

I was in the middle of a brainstorming/washing dishes session, so I considered answering, "Just a story." Instead I rose to the challenge. "It's about a girl who lives in a castle and who really likes to ride her horse. She can do lots of tricks on it, like making the horse dance like a ballerina."


"Oh." The 3-year-old lips pursed as she stared at the screen, pretending to read. "Is she happy?"

Right. I forgot the conflict! "No, she isn't," I answered. "Because there are bad guys who were angry at anyone who lived in castles, and they're trying to hurt her Papa."

"So she has to save him?"

"Yep."

"By riding her horse, right?"

"Um, right." (Is the ending that predictable, I wondered, or does my daughter just have natural story-telling intuition??)

So there you have it: my book in a nutshell: A young comtesse lives for riding her horse and training him in spectacular circus tricks, until the French Revolution tears her family apart, leaving it up to her--and her marvelous horse--to bring them back together safely.

Thanks, kiddo.

Comments

  1. I think you might be raising two storytellers now ... and you summed it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can she help me write a synopsis of my book?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I love this. Kids are the best. Always will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids always get to the heart of the matter. I second DL's comment! And your book sounds really cool, Faith.

    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of the book. And your daughter is so insightful! Yes, it sure sounds like she has a good grasp of story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful story, and I don't think it's bad at all that your daughter was able to predict that the horse riding would factor in to the solution. Smart kid!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts