Painting by the River

On Sunday, we took a family trip to the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, Connecticut. Sundays there are "Plein Air" days, where they provide a canvas, palette, brushes and paints to anyone who wishes to take advantage of their beautiful grounds and make some art.



I'm loving all the ways museums are reaching out to families and making art exciting for young children. Around here, the Florence Griswold and the Wadsworth Atheneum (the oldest public museum in the U.S.) are the most family-friendly we've discovered; if you're in or near Connecticut, you should definitely check them out.

Even though I don't paint much, it's amazing how appreciating the artwork of others can spur you on in your own work. I've had a few months where I accomplished next to no writing...yet after this little trip I suddenly found the inspiration I needed. (Inspiration = realizing that I'll never get anywhere if I don't get to work.)

Do you have any favorite museums that are particularly welcoming to families (especially if they happen to be in the Northeast)? We're always on the lookout for new places to visit together!

Comments

  1. That sounds like fun! I love visiting museums; I haven't been to one since college, though, when my Shakespeare class went to Washington D.C. for a play. The play was at night so we spent the entire day museum hopping.

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should find something in your area to visit! A lot of libraries have passes that offer free or discounted admission, so it's a great way to discover new favorites. Plus a fun, inexpensive summer outing!

      Delete
  2. Finally ... a post! Wonderful pictures, as well. The picture of Papa with little girls in the background would make a sublime painting.

    I must say I do love the Atheneum. Annie and I went there for the Monet exhibit last year. Why haven't I been back since them?

    I'm so glad the day in Old Lyme got some "writing cobwebs" knocked down for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, finally! :)
      Now is a great time to go back to the Atheneum--they have a spectacular exhibit of Caravaggio and his followers!!

      Delete
  3. I've been to this museum! It is beautiful there. Your girls are adorable. Glad you found your inspiration. I really love the Brooklyn Children's Museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See...I have this problem with New York City. There are so many amazing museums there and great places to visit, but I always start at the Met and...somehow the entire day gets spent there. I always end up jealous of Claudia Kincaid--living there would be a great idea! ;)
      But eventually we're going to have to go down for a whole weekend and see some more things! Thanks for the recommendation!!

      Delete
  4. So adorable!! Love those pictures=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I think they're pretty cute, but I rank a ten on the "prejudiced" scale. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! This is what I call filling the well ... you must post pictures of the artwork next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vijaya! I'll do my best. :) They represent quite the range of styles... Mark's is classical realism, Lucy's is impressionistic, and Zoe's is one of those modern "feel of the painting!" works. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts