Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens

When my husband Mark attended the Highlights Foundation workshop in 2010, his mentor, Patricia Lee Gauch, emphasized the importance of things in writing: using (usually) inanimate objects to create mood, reveal character, and so on. Think of Bilbo's simple row of pegs on the wall--how this showed that Bag End was a comfortable place, that Bilbo liked to entertain, that hobbits were welcoming and sociable people.

There are some things that seem to have more instantly interesting qualities than others... so of course I made a list. :) I'll share it (or some of it) below, but I'd love to know what items you think are readily story-worthy.

pocket watches
grandfather clocks
fountain pens
inkwells
vases
blown glass
candlesticks
leather-bound books
full notebooks
pottery pitchers
little boxes
Irish sweaters
paintbrushes
palettes
stuffed birds (though, yes, they are kinda creepy)
violins
fireplaces
oil lanterns
wrought iron
teapots
teacups

and, naturally, brown paper packages tied up with string.


Comments

  1. I really think that just about any item can be story-worthy if it is an essential part of a character's life. A necklace handed down over generations...a ragged blanket kept from childhood that still is on the character's bed, etc. I also love the idea of using ordinary objects found in a person's home to really add depth to the narrative. I need to look at my own manuscript and try to add some of these details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites are tiny versions of things. Tiny dishes, or replications of food.. makes me want to build a dollhouse and furnish it for the Borrowers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts