Pope!

I know I usually keep it more or less about books around here, but if Molly O'Neill (brilliant Harper Collins editor, if you don't know) can squee about the new pope on Twitter, I can take a moment here, right? I've been glued to the live feed all afternoon, and I can't really think cohesively about anything else, so I think I'd better get it out of my system.

Pope Francis seems like an incredibly holy man, and I am so excited he will be leading our Church. I love that he is from Latin America, expressing the catholicity--universality--of the Catholic Church. I got teary-eyed at his humility as he asked the world to pray for him before bestowing his blessing. Though I'm not sure of the particular significance yet, I love the name he chose; both Francis of Assisi and Francis Xavier are heroes and friends of mine. :) And...because you know that I can't get away from books for too long--I am kinda psyched that he was once a literature professor. :)

I hope, whether or not you are Catholic, you will join me in praying for him, as his job will be an incredibly difficult one, and his leadership will impact all the world.

Comments

  1. V. Oremus pro Pontifice nostro Francisci.

    R. Dominus conservet eum, et vivificet eum, et beatum faciat eum in terra, et non tradat eum in animam inimicorum eius. [Ps 40:3]

    Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

    Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.

    Deus, omnium fidelium pastor et rector, famulum tuum Franciscum, quem pastorem Ecclesiae tuae praeesse voluisti, propitius respice: da ei, quaesumus, verbo et exemplo, quibus praeest, proficere: ut ad vitam, una cum grege sibi credito, perveniat sempiternam. Per Christum, Dominum nostrum. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did pray for him, he's got a daunting task ahead of him. Faith, I left an award for you on my blog. Please note the ammended rules :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about the new pope too! I really like that he is from America and is so devoted to the poor. And I also like the name that he took - I take it as a good sign. I have high hopes for him :) prayers for his health and managing the difficulties of his job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's delightful that you can "squee" about Pope Francis!!! I've been learning much about him this past week, and feel incredibly blessed. At a recent homily, the priest said, JPII was all about hope, B16 about faith, and now Pope Francis will teach us about charity. A seamless continuation, it seems.

    God bless and protect our new shepherd, Pope Francis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed with his humility. He seems like a wonderful human being, and I will definitely be praying for him. He does have a difficult job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts