Poetry Friday: L. M. Montgomery



FOR LITTLE THINGS

LAST night I looked across the hills
  And through an arch of darkling pine
Low-swung against a limpid west
  I saw a young moon shine.
And as I gazed there blew a wind,
  Loosed where the sylvan shadows stir,
Bringing delight to soul and sense
  The breath of dying fir.
This morn I saw a dancing host
  Of poppies in a garden way,
And straight my heart was mirth-possessed
  And I was glad as they.
I heard a song across the sea
  As sweet and faint as echoes are,
And glimpsed a poignant happiness
  No care of earth might mar.
Dear God, our life is beautiful
  In every splendid gift it brings,
But most I thank Thee humbly for
  The joy of little things.

Today marks the beginning of the L. M. Montgomery Journal read along with Caroline Starr Rose. I'm so excited to be re-reading these glimpses into the life of one of my favorite writers and favorite women, and I hope you'll consider joining in. Because I might be talking about them a lot these next few months. :)

Comments

  1. Ooo, I love this poem! L.M. Montgomery is one of my favorites, too. I'm really looking forward to your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect gem of a photo to go with the poem. I'm looking forward to all your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts