A girl and her dolls

On Sunday evening, I found a time capsule hidden behind a few baskets of laundry in my parents' basement. My sisters and I were looking for an old "Pepper" doll that we suspected had been sacrificed to Good Will years ago, when Mom told us, "All the dolls are in a big trunk in the basement. There's a pink doll house on top."
We were skeptical. None of us remembered any pink doll house, and we could hardly believe that Mom would have saved a bunch of old doll toys for ten years past the time my youngest sister actually played with them.
Then, we found the trunk. Opened it. Began to squeal in girlish delight and hilarity. "Oh, that pink doll house!" "Oh my gosh, it's your Peggy doll!" "AH! The little doll with the twisty changeable clothes!" "Oh, wow, do you remember this dolly blanket!" and plenty of "Ugh, check out the 90's makeup on this one!"
It was pretty epic. But every childhood emotion I thought I had forgotten swooped back into my chest. I am just raring to work on my middle grade novel now. :)

This was Genevieve's initial reaction:

Oh, Mama...

After all, it was her birthday, and we were supposed to be paying attention to her, not squealing in such an embarrassing manner.
But after a little while, she joined in on the fun:


Hey, this pink dollhouse is pretty cool...


Comments

  1. How fun! Nearly all my toys got passed on to nieces ages ago. That's the downside of becoming an aunt at 9. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few dolls I've kept for my girls and few I WISH I'd kept. I have a pink dollhouse in the garage that still gets used from time to time. I won't be letting that one go anytime soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure! I wish my mom had kept stuff like that. One day you'll tell your daughter that those were your toys and she won't believe you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!! I love stumbling upon things like that. Oh, the nostalgia...

    PS, your girl is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's such a doll herself! I can only imagine this joy ... I have nothing but a small tin box left from my childhood, and we did not have many toys, so I've had the great pleasure of getting my daughter stainless steel kitchen sets, with little spatulas and whatnots, and playing with them.

    What a treasure to have all these old toys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite doll(maybe my only) was Pollyanna. That doesn't date me, does it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun to rediscover these dolls when you're grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! I wish I had a lot of my childhood toys still, but most got tossed out, given away, or whatever. I've managed to get new ones through things like eBay and online sites. Some of my favorite dolls were Mrs. Beasley, Chrissy, and Raggedy Ann and Andy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts