Oh, the drama...


Continuing with our historical fiction theme, I thought I'd share some historical truth today--because, like any historical fiction writer, I can't keep away from the encyclopedias...and you never know when inspiration will strike.

Today is the 478th birthday of the ruler of England I like to refer to as "Bloody Bess." Queen Elizabeth I is remembered, along with other fine accomplishments, for executing more people than her father (Henry VIII) and her sister (Mary I) combined, during her fiercely anti-Catholic reign. In fact, among those executed was her sister...but I guess the fact that her father killed her mother while she was a toddler might account for her bloodlust.

And yet, we writers and readers owe her a debt of gratitude. Because without Elizabeth, we likely never would have come to know Shakespeare. Who knows how the world of drama would have developed without her sponsorship of the Bard? We would never have known King Lear, Macbeth, A Midsummer's Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet... or West Side Story, for that matter.

I love this Joyce Kilmer poem, which got me thinking about the idea in the first place:


QUEEN ELIZABETH SPEAKS
My hands were stained with blood, my heart was
proud and cold,
My soul is black with shame . . . but I gave Shakespeare gold.
So after aeons of flame, I may, by grace of God,
Rise up to kiss the dust that Shakespeare’s feet have trod.

And Shakespeare wasn't the only artist Elizabeth sponsored. One of my favorite liturgical music composers, Thomas Tallis, was also supported by the queen. Funny thing: Tallis was a staunch Roman Catholic. Isn't it amazing the way great art can bridge the gap between race, time--and even religion, in this case? Despite her strict laws, I suppose Queen Elizabeth couldn't bear the thought of being the monarch to deprive the world of music like this:


So, happy birthday, Queen Elizabeth. And thank you!

Comments

  1. This is fascinating. I love history and you've provided some juicy bits of information that was not aware of. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queen Elizabeth I was a fascinating monarch. In college we studied some of her writings: essays, letters. She had a quite a shrewd, intelligent brain in her head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea Elizabeth I killed that many people! Horrifying! It's nice of you to look on the bright side of her personality, Faith!

    I may have asked you this question before, but have you ever watched the movie LADY JANE? That was one of my favorite movies growing up. Whenever people mention Elizabeth or Henry VIII, I think of that movie.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GORGEOUS song. People like Elizabeth fascinate me-- they did so much good and bad at the same time. Conflicted people always pique my interest...though sometimes the bad part of them also makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She IS fascinating! I ditto what you said-- Happy birthday, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts