Of Hurricanes, Hunger Games, and History



Early this week, as you likely know, Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene breezed through the Northeast; here in Connecticut the damage was mostly to trees, but they in turn managed to knock out the electricity in over 770,000 homes. I was lucky on several accounts: 1) the two, towering pine trees in my front yard did NOT fall and crush my 250(ish)-year-old house; 2) During the storm I was able to take refuge in my parents' 50(ish)-year-old house which has city water and a gas stove; 3) our own electricity was restored yesterday morning (most of my neighbors are still without power); 4) my background in children's reading and writing amply prepared me for this kind of situation.
My copies of The Hunger Games and Little House on the Prairie may have to be re-shelved next to the Boy Scout handbook, under Emergency Preparedness. And all my research for my own historical fiction works suddenly proved useful in real life scenarios; for example, we kept milk cold by submerging bottles filled with it into the stream in front of our house (it stayed ice cold). Though I didn't end up needing to do so, I had my recipes and dutch oven prepared for cooking over the fire, which I can easily start by myself (I do use matches...but I know how to start a fire without them).
So our little mini-disaster ended up being quite worry-free, although I did gripe to myself about having to rely on electricity to pump our well water into the house; its past housewives had the “luxury” of dropping a bucket into the well and cranking up fresh, clean water whenever they wanted it...whereas my husband had to haul water in from the stream so we could flush toilets...how we've progressed, huh?
To proclaim my gratitude for all historical fiction has taught me, I am hereby declaring a historical fiction theme for the next few days/weeks/we'll see how long. Being unable to vacuum and do laundry freed up several hours in my day for the things I really like doing—and many, many pages of my favorite genre were turned since Sunday. So of course I can't help talking about it. Stay tuned. :) (Also to come...pictures of my poor willow tree which lost its head.)
In the meantime, please say a prayer or two for the tens of thousands of people still without power from the storm. No, it's not quite as life-altering as the media would like you to believe, but it can be really really annoying, and it's looking like several more days will pass before everything's up and running again.

Comments

  1. That's great that you used The Hunger Games and Little House on the Prairie to get through the storm! I've heard a lot about how people are still without power due to Irene. I hope it's restored soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have learned so much from HF. When my husband first introduced me to camping, I had to tell him that this is sort of how we lived like on a daily basis in India, with no reliable power, drinking water, or stove. We did most of our cooking on a coals. We were vegetarian and I think if I had to know my meat personally, I'd go back to that lifestyle.

    Our prayers are with the folks who are still trying to recover from Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you got through Irene well enough. We just got our power back yesterday (4 days without). And you're right--it was inconvenient (especially for those of us who live with our laptops), but not the worst thing that could ever happen. It made me grateful for my wonderful books, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whew. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't heard much about this. Sounds like you were prepared though! And great excuse for reading. I did love the Hunger Games.

    We are routinely out of power living in the bush - any old wind storm kicks us back a few days. Twice we had no power for over a week. But we live on a lake, and heat with wood so that goes a long way. I can't imagine being in the city without power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just know that all of us are praying for all of you affected by the storm. Hi, saw your post on Terrylynn's blog and thought I would stop by to say hello. I love historical fiction, but haven't written in that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're safe and well - and that you used your reading to make life a little easier! That's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faith, I love your positive spin on things. Good job! I'm so glad you're all safe. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you and your home came through the storm fine. The experience does spark writing ideas, doesn't it?

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to live in TX when I was a child. Went through a few hurricanes there. No fun.

    Glad your home is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're well, and I love your attitude!

    We lose power A LOT where I live. Sometimes it's fun, but usually it's just annoying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you about the electricity for the well pump... when we lose power here, there is no stream nearby to help with flushing toilets! ;) It WOULD be handy to have a well from which one could actually draw water even when there was no power. :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts