Something There That Wasn't There Before (Disney Princesses on Plot): Reprise

This was my first ever post, way back from when I had, like, one follower...and it was my husband. So I figure most of you haven't read it...but it still makes me smile. (And, yes, waiting for Baby to come is making creative blogging more and more difficult. 1 1/2 weeks left until due date!) Enjoy!

One of the first questions I'm asked when someone finds out I write is: "How do you ever find time to write when you're already a mother?"
The whole answer deserves a post (or maybe a book!) unto itself, so obviously most people get a really abridged version. But one important aspect to making it work is to think about writing even when you're not actually writing.

So...if I have a two-year-old daughter currently obsessed with Disney princesses, I'm hardly going to overlook the opportunity this presents: plot analysis. You can learn a lot in unexpected places.
For example... The Little Mermaid has taken the title of favorite princess movie in unofficial polls for ages. After watching it over a dozen times now, along with the rest of the princess classics at least one or two times each, I'm beginning to develop a theory: even little kids get it. Better plots make better movies, period.

Here's my princess-by-princess analysis:

SNOW WHITE: Whole annoying voice thing aside, this girl does nothing for herself besides look pretty and maintain a sweet disposition. It's kind of pathetic that the villain(ess) has a more complex and intriguing personality than Snow White herself does. The queen's personality flaws provide the entire conflict, and the introduction of a random, cookie-cutter prince resolves everything.

CINDERELLA: No annoying voice...just plain annoying. Perhaps it is my overly-active mother-sense, but it seems to me as though Cinderella whines an awful lot for someone who is taking no action towards making her life better. And she's kind of, well, stupid. WHY does she run downstairs in her pretty pink dress the mice made for her and dare to ask her stepfamily: "Oh, isn't it beautiful?!" What did she think they were going to say? Then she dances and sings around at the ball about how she's finally found her true love, only to leave him with no hope or means of ever seeing him again. Lucky for her, the prince, despite being boring in all other aspects, has the naive perseverance to try the shoe-fitting tactic...

SLEEPING BEAUTY: At least she met her prince once, even if she was a baby...but, face it, she spends the majority of her story (chronologically) sleeping. The story really belongs to her fairy godmothers, not her. They're the ones who make difficult choices, who make mistakes and learn from them, who actually grow as characters. Briar Rose, in the meantime, has a nice nap before waking up mid-smooch.

THE LITTLE MERMAID: Back onto this one... Finally, Ariel is a princess with a brain and free will and a plan for her life. She is a good person with a weakness that leads her to make a foolish decision, upon which the entire plot hinges. (Aristotle would be happy.) Everything that follows is likewise contingent upon either a decision she makes or someone taking advantage of her decisions.
Secondly, Ariel is a lovable character. She's not afraid to be a little silly, she's really passionate about life, and she gives her love whole-heartedly. As an added bonus, what a great guy is Eric? He's fun, cute, musically gifted, really nice to his servants, sweet with his dog--and to top it off, he risks his life to save Ariel without thinking twice about it.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: This one's pretty good (Belle was my favorite as a kid--probably because she loved books), but fails somewhat in believability. I don't mean the dancing spoons, either... Rather, both the Beast's change of heart and Belle's reciprocal love don't seem to have sufficient impetus. Somehow Disney makes it all happen throughout the course of one song, so even if it is supposed to take a while, we miss out on experiencing it. I have to admit, though, Gaston was a great addition to the original version.

ALADDIN: Although technically "Laddy" (as my two-year-old calls him), and not Jasmine, is the protagonist of this movie, it succeeds where earlier movies failed--or did not dare to tread. At long last, both guy and girl have real, developed personalities, problems, and conflicts. They really fall in love, and together they experience enough hardship that it's reasonable for the audience to believe their love will last past the end credits. There is one aggravating plot flaw, however: the Sultan just up and changes the marry-a-prince law at the very end... Why, exactly, was he so blind to this law in the first place if all it took to change was a word on his part?

And an extra for the 2011 edition...
TANGLED: Not only does this plot hold up well to the other princess plots, it's a great plot to study in general. I love the way that Rapunzel and Flynn have instant conflict, a conflict stronger for the fact that they genuinely need each other to meet their goals. The subtlety of Mother Gothel's manipulation is sophisticated, and while not as "scary" as some of the other Disney witches as far as kids are concerned, as an adult she comes across as so psychologically evil that it makes me cringe.
Rapunzel is cute and lovable and truly multi-faceted--and her background gives her so many great quirks that you can't wait to see what she'll do next. She is understandably uncertain at the beginning of her adventure, but her character growth into a strong young woman ready to take on the role of princess is well-paced and believable.
My one gripe: I think the writers should have done something at our first introduction to Flynn to show us that he's a really good guy worthy of Rapunzel's love. Charming, yes; interesting, definitely....but worthy? I'm not so sure. It takes a long time for this to develop, so the viewers have to suspend their disbelief of this one aspect for a good three-quarters of the film.

Comments

  1. I love Disney movies! I grew up in the '90s during the "Disney Renaissance" so I have a huge softspot for Disney animation!

    You forgot MULAN!!!!!! I guess because she's technically not a princess...but she dresses as a boy & joins the army to save her father and ends up saving an entire COUNTRY! Most kickass Disney heroine ever.

    Ariel, Mulan, and Belle are my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Disney fanatic, too. And yeah, your break-down does point to a lot of flaws, but I can't help loving Sleeping Beauty. Something about the art of the movie. I still love watching it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I'm just thankful my kids don't care for Disney princess stuff. Pixar is more to our taste.

    Wow! Only a week or so until Baby makes the debut! I can't wait to see a picture. It's going to be a perfect summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your analyses of the Disney princesses. I think you're right that earlier generation films tended to paint women as wholly passive and needing rescue, while contemporary heroines take a more active role.

    I don't find Ariel as admirable as you do, because she seems to value her infatuation with a guy she barely knows above her family (typical rebellious teen), whereas Belle is willing to sacrifice her own safety to save her father (atypical self-sacrificing teen).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great analyses. I haven't watched a Disney movie in a long, long time. I do remember most of the characteristics of these princesses. Aladdin and Tangled are the two I'm not familiar with at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! As a mom of four busy kids, I'm in the throes of summer, and have not touched my writing for two weeks. Have I stopped being a writer? No, but I have to find my opportunities - like analyzing every book we read. Reading to the kids and checking out masses of books from the library are my research right now. I like to hope it will pay off someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list, Faith, and a reminder that we can use our writer brains all the time, even when engaging our children in their favorite books and movies (over and over and over again...).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super great post - the part about Cinderella is the best! Definitely made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts