Just for Fun (and craft-development, and edification...)

On June 11, the world celebrates the 200th birthday of Harriet Beecher Stowe. (You can read my post from last year about my new-found admiration for this woman...she wrote while raising seven kids!) In honor of her birthday, the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center is "re-releasing" Uncle Tom's Cabin in the modern form closet to the way readers first experienced it in 1851; in the mid-19th century, serial stories in newspapers were the "in thing"--now that's being translated to blog form. Starting on June 5 (the day the first segment was released in 1851), and going on for 44 weeks, a segment of the story will be published on the National Era Blog, along with an introduction by a scholar or fan--but otherwise keeping true to the way it was first published in the National Era Newspaper.
I know you're all busy keeping up with current reading (right, my studious writers/readers?), but at just one segment a week, it's hard to turn down this chance to relive that kind of experience.
Now we'll know if it was true that waiting for the next chapter of a serial story was akin to waiting for the next Harry Potter book... I'll let you know in 45 weeks or so. :)
P.S. And if Blogger is still being weird and not letting you comment, my apologies. I don't know what's wrong with it...but don't worry. I know you still love me. ;) (Even if Blogger doesn't!)

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you brought this to my attention. I will enjoy reading this way. Wonder if this type of reading (on a blog one chapter at a time) will become popular in the future. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good grief. I am so spoiled I cannot stand serials anymore, even the ones they have in Cricket. I had no choice as a child, but no more. I confess I'm a glutton and will read as much as I can.

    Vijaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book in high school and LOVED it. I might have to experience it again in its original form. What a great idea!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts