New-random-bery facts ;)

So my recent Newbery “Moon” theory has led me into a bunch of really fun time wasting—er, research. First of all, the moon theory itself is debunked: only 4 winners and honors contain that word. (Besides the three mentioned in my last post, there's 1971's Sing Down the Moon, by Scott O'Dell.) Besides, well, “The,” of course, the most commonly found title word is “Story,” but I don't think that really counts, either. So the real winner is “Mountain/Mount” with a whopping 9 titles: 2009's Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (Grace Lin was just doubly lucky); 1987's Volcano: The Eruption and Healing of Mount St. Helens; 1960's My Side of the Mountain; 1953's The Bears on Hemlock Mountain; 1949's Daughter of the Mountains; 1944's Mountain Born; 1940's Runner of the Mountain Tops; 1932's Waterless Mountain; 1931's Mountains are Free –and then you have the close Secret of the Andes (which stole the 1953 medal away from Charlotte's Web...I'm telling you—it was the title. :) and several “Hills” thrown in, too. Apparently a rough landscape a winning title makes.


Some others crop up from time to time: witch, king, inn, star, summer, winter, courage, golden, tree, river, lake, island, sword...

Okay, I suppose I've wasted enough time here. I have no idea what it will be about, but I think my next title is: The King of Moon Mountain. :)

Comments

  1. How about, Golden Moon over Summer Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun--and interesting.

    I decided to change the title of my WIP last week. I like my new title, but I'm not sure if I'm excited about it because it still has that new car smell or if it's really good. Time will tell. No moon or mountain...at least not yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I love Paula's title, too. I think it makes sense that a rough landscape adds to a good story ... more to overcome. Thank you for wasting your time for our benefit, Faith. I found this extremely interesting! :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts