What I've Been Reading Lately

Linking up with Anne at Modern Mrs. Darcy!

For the past three years, I've set myself a summer challenge of reading books on my own shelves in lieu of checking out ALL THE NEW BOOKS from the library. It's like my own little Lent in the middle of the summer. But as with most mortifications, I'm always surprised to find that giving up an easy pleasure can make you appreciate even more what you had in the first place.

As with previous years, I'm happy to see that the books I've chosen to keep on my shelves--even the ones I hadn't got around to reading, are pretty darn quality. Here you have them, in the order started.


Scythe, by Neal Schusterman. Mark bought this for me for Christmas 2016. I thanked him sweetly, glanced at the dust jacket, and stashed it away for a time when I was not pregnant, nursing, or otherwise experiencing massive hormonal mood shifts. Because, death. And violence. And scary futuristic world. Finally I realized this May that my dreamworld, even-keeled hormonal future was less likely to occur before old age than the scary futuristic world of Scythe. So I stocked up on tea and chocolate and picked it up. I actually loved it. Yes, it was scary and violent, but also philosophical and profound--not to mention extremely well written. Basically, it's set in a world where death no longer need happen naturally, so appointed "scythes" have to choose who to kill and carry out their executions. And if that makes you nervous....yeah, me too. But it was excellent!


Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. Several years ago, I recommended Neil Gaiman to my husband and a bunch of friends. So it's a little embarrassing that it took me this long to read his first book, which is pretty much a masterpiece. Every...single...sentence...is so gorgeous.


The Left-handed Fate, by Kate Milford. Yes, I did choose this for the gorgeous hand-lettering on the cover. :) I haven't finished it yet, but it's chock full of atmosphere, just like Milford's Greenglass House books.


The Golden Name Day, by . This one I'm reading aloud to my girls, so it's slow-going. But we're all loving it! Since we're big on celebrating name days in this family, it's extra special to my children. The writing is really lovely and classic, and I'm surprised I never came across it in my childhood.

And...if you want to know why there are only 4, it's because I decided all the books I'd preordered months ago got to count as books that have been on my shelf forever. I know, I know....cheating. I'll try to review those books soon!

So what have you been reading?

P.S. You can see the books on Amazon by clicking on the images. Except....if you want to read Golden Name Day, I think you'd be better off driving to CT from wherever you live and borrowing it from me, because it's out of print and about $700. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts