Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Princess Cora and the Crocodile

I'm emerging from the first trimester hibernation cave to a glorious spring full of blessed energy, food actually tasting good, and a glorious return to lots of reading...now that the letters don't wiggle around the page so much. And so far, my favorite read of spring has been in the unlikely category of Early Reader.

You may remember from past reviews that I do love these earliest Middle Grade books when they're well done...but why is it so hard to find the really excellent ones? Because of my own struggle to find literary excellence for my new readers, I've made it my mission to be sure and review them here for you when I do.



And Princess Cora and the Crocodile is early reader GOLD. I mean, Laura Amy Schlitz wrote it--so of course it's wonderful writing. How she can write beautiful and funny and meaningful all at the same time is a mystery that I've given hours over to studying. I'd read her grocery shopping lists if they got published.

The extra treasure in Princess Cora is that Schlitz's words were paired with illustrations of an equal calibre. Like the text, Brian Floca's pictures are simultaneously beautiful and funny and deliciously classic. Even my children who can't read yet can be found looking through the pictures and laughing out loud.

If I haven't convinced you yet, here's the synopsis from the publisher:

Princess Cora is sick of boring lessons. She’s sick of running in circles around the dungeon gym. She’s sick, sick, sick of taking three baths a day. And her parents won’t let her have a dog. But when she writes to her fairy godmother for help, she doesn’t expect that help to come in the form of a crocodile—a crocodile who does not behave properly. With perfectly paced dry comedy, children’s book luminaries Laura Amy Schlitz and Brian Floca send Princess Cora on a delightful outdoor adventure — climbing trees! getting dirty! having fun! — while her alter ego wreaks utter havoc inside the castle, obliging one pair of royal helicopter parents to reconsider their ways.

This one deserves a permanent spot on your children's literature shelf.... even if you don't have any children, but especially if you have new readers!  

And by the way, it's totally going to win the 2018 Newbery. I set that down as my official prediction.

To see what other middle grade titles readers are enjoying, check out all the links on Shannon Messenger's blog!

Comments

  1. Glad you're feeling better. This sounds like a really good read, especially since it's good for new readers too. Let's see if your prediction comes true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review makes this so enticing. I'll be looking for this one to read this summer. Pretty bold Newbery prediction... can't wait to see if I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually read this but not reviewed it yet. I also liked it, but not sure about the Newbery prediction. Certainly a message to parents about over-scheduling their children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good!I'm a big fan of Laura Amy Shlitz too. I love the theme of experiencing life instead of being cooped up by helicopter parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one great cover! Love the theme. Sometimes kids just need to be kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This premise has me intrigued, and your review has sealed the deal! :) Thanks for the recommend, and happy MMGM!

    --Suzanne
    www.suzannewarr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually read early readers, but you make this sound like a must read. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments, everyone! Yeah...I know the Newbery prediction is bold, but I'm feeling cocky after guessing 3 out of 4 last year. :) Anyway, I think it's just "different" enough being an early reader--but still obviously merit-worthy--that it will garner a lot of discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts