You making?

My two-year-old likes to walk into a room, survey my activity, and ask me, "You making?" I realized I do "make" a lot of things: dinner, stories, lesson plans, soap, cheese, garden trellises... It's become the way my daughter views me, as a maker.

I like that. Making is a good way to approach the world.

This past week, I've lost sight of that identity a little bit. For the first time in years, I haven't written at all. The world's events saddened me and paralyzed me, and I forgot that making really is the best way, for me, to make things better.

My pastor, in his homily this morning, reminded us that everyone is the world is longing for community and connection--that joyful, connected people don't become terrorists. That we all have a responsibility to reach out to our neighbors with love and compassion. He quoted Mother Teresa's beautiful words: "If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."

I get so caught up in the imperfection of my work, whether in my writing or simply my housekeeping, that I'm tempted to just shut down when life is difficult or the news is depressing. I can't feed a hundred people. No matter how great the message of my books or blog posts, they're never going to become best sellers or go viral.

But I can feed the little girls who gather around my table every morning--and trust that their smiles to cashiers and strangers at the playground are filling, drop by drop, the great thirst that the world has for genuine connection. I can bring a meal to a new mother. I can write one...more...page. I can hope that this little blog post might resonate with one of the few of you who are kind enough to stick around and read despite my lackadaisical blogging schedule.

So I'm getting back to making this week. Dinners, stories, blog posts...and hopefully connection.

Please pray for me as I struggle to create, and know that I will pray for you, too.

Comments

  1. Praying for you sweet friend! Thank you for spreading beauty and love in everything you do. You are most definitely helping feed a hundred as the kindness you sow is passed along from one person to another and through your precious children. Thank you for reminding me that each task and making has so much more purpose than what appears on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Your prayers mean so much to me!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. Yes, the news just keeps getting more and more horrific and paralyzing. And it's hard to be a maker all the time. Sometimes you need to step back and breathe and remember that the little things are important.

    When our older son was preparing for his first communion, the religious education teacher had a meeting with all of us parents. After quoting the bible passage in Matthew about whatever you did for the least of my brothers you did for me, she spoke movingly about being a parent. And simply by being a parent, you are feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty and so on. It resonated even with me (a non-religious Protestant married to a devout Catholic). Faith, you do so much just by being who you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so inspiring, Joanne. Being a parent certainly gives us ample opportunity to grow in holiness--of course I need to take advantage of that offer constantly before me.
      And you remind me of one of my favorite quotes (and I needed the reminder...): St. Catherine of Siena said, "Be who you were created to be, and you will set the world on fire!"

      Delete
  3. Aw, Faith, I know what you mean. But what you make does matter. I know the little ones around you are the primary beneficiaries, but know that across the miles your words make a difference too. Keep on making. I am praying for you. V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vijaya. That means a lot to hear you say that!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this reminder that community and connection begin in the home. Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Faith. And a great reminder to keep making when so many people in the world are out to destroy. I'm rooting for you my friend. Thanks for having our backs too. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly this: "when so many people in the world are out to destroy." I guess creating should be the obvious antidote to destroying, but sometimes it's easy to lose sight of that, or to forget how wide the range of creative actions really is.
      Thanks for your support, and for always inspiring me with your own words!

      Delete
  6. Faith, I love this post. Absolutely love it. You've reminded me that even feeding one is better than feeding none at all, that even writing one page is better than nothing at all. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement, Melissa! It means a lot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts