Six books on my shelves I plan on reading this summer

Still Life for Patrick and Cassandra by Mark Langdale Hough
Last summer, I made a conscientious effort to fast from my frequent library binges in order to catch up on my plethora of owned and unread books. It went so well that I decided to make a yearly habit of it.

Last year I read over a dozen, but part of the fun was spontaneously approaching my shelves and grabbing whatever book my mood led me to. So I'm only planning six must-reads, and I'll have to update you on the rest at the end of the summer!

1. Old Yeller, by Fred Gibson
I'm pretty sure my dad has no secret huge inheritance to leave to his five children, but if he did, I'd surely be cut out of it for not reading this one yet. Maybe after this summer I can be in the running again for one of his cast iron pans. Better yet, I will understand his frequent references to the story. ;)

2. Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen
For some reason, every time I go to my Jane Austen shelf with the intention of picking this one up, I get sidetracked by the chance to re-read Pride and Prejudice or Emma again. I. Must. Resist.

3. Swallows and Amazons, by Arthur Ransome
This was one of Mark's childhood favorites, and I really look forward to reading it aloud to my girls. Hopefully they don't get too many ideas about sailing off on an unsupervised adventure...

4. That Hideous Strength, by C. S. Lewis
I've been meaning to read this forever, as I adored the first two books in Lewis' Space Trilogy. I'm hoping to give Mark time to read the first two so we can experience this one together.

5. Letters to a Young Poet, by Rainer Maria Rilke
This was a gift from a dear writer friend earlier this year, and I've been dying to slip into it.

6. The Girl in Blue, by P. G. Wodehouse
Did you know that Wodehouse wrote 70 novels, over 200 short stories, 15 plays, and lyrics to about 250 songs? Gosh, what an underachiever... My year would not be complete without reading one or two Wodehouse novels, and luckily they will last me long enough that by the time I run out I will probably have forgotten the first ones and can start over again!

(Note: If you click on the images, you can buy the books directly from Amazon. I'm an Amazon Affiliate, so I'll get a small percentage from each sale. Thanks!)

Comments

  1. I thought Mark's painting was a photograph! The only book I've read on this list is Mansfield Park. I feel like that Austen gets a lot of criticism, but I remember enjoying it. I think the main character doesn't have the strength of Emma or Elizabeth, but I think she is sweet. I still have to finish the trilogy! Jeremy finished it without me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm way behind you. I've only read Old Yeller. Although I may have read Mansfield Park in high school. (Hey, it was a long time ago!) Your summer plan sounds like fun. I often pull an old book off my shelves at random. Whatever catches my eye. Last month it was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I hadn't read in decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still Life is a painting?!!! It's so real I want to slip my fingers to pull out a book and have that cup of tea!!!

    Old Yeller -- yes, make your daddy proud! And I do so love P&P I understand your compulsion as well. V

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy Letters to a Young Poet. That book was so inspirational to me as a writer, especially when I first read it in college. It's definitely a lifetime top 10 book for me. I've read most of the others, except the Wodehouse and Old Yeller. I like your goal of reading one Wodehouse a year. I think I may have to do that myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts