Best Books for Creative Types


I mentioned in a previous post that we're on the four gift plan for Christmas in this family: one book, one toy, one art tool, and one piece of clothing. Personally, I've tried to argue to my husband that just four books would satisfy all those categories. I mean, book for a book; fun book for a toy; book about art for an art tool; and, um, well. I'm not crafty enough to make a dress out of a book, but I'd totally go for one of those scarves with quotes from a book on it.

So if you have a creator among your family or friends who likes books as much as I do, here are some ideas for gifts they'd love (plus, you can purchase them by clicking on the images):

Walking on Water, Reflections on Faith and Art, by Madeleine L'Engle
This is a book that changed my life, and most influences how I think about both art and life.


Big Magic, Creative Living Beyond Fear, by Elizabeth Gilbert
I agree with 90% of what Gilbert has to say here, but when I agree, I really agree. Mark, Mr. Introverted-New Englander, listened to the audio book and said, "I feel like I should shout out, 'Amen!' And I don't do things like that."


Make Good Art, by Neil Gaiman
Yes, you can listen to the speech on Youtube. But this way, you can give Gaiman's highly inspiring words as a gift to the artist in your life.


Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination, by J. K. Rowling
Another excellent speech--I haven't seen the book version, but it looks beautiful!


A Million Little Ways, Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live, by Emily P. Freeman
A beautifully written piece of inspiration for anyone who believes creating is part of who we are as humans. My mom, who does not consider herself an artist in the "strict sense," loved it.


The Literary Ladies' Guide to the Writing Life
This one is aimed at writers and women, but its quotes and letters from some of the finest female writers of history make it a gem for everyone.


A Prayer Journal, by Flannery O'Connor
She can't help writing beautifully and thought-provokingly, even in her journal. Her struggles as an artist really resonated with me.


And just for fun: By Mouse and Frog, by Deborah Freedman
It is about creating. Plus it's adorable. Possibly the perfect gift for the little creators you know.



Note: I'm an Amazon affiliate, so if you buy one of these books by clicking on the image, it will make me pennies and pennies richer. Better yet, support your local independent bookseller!

Comments

  1. Nice book ideas, Faith! I like your 4 gift plan, too. We try to always do that in a way - at least the clothing item and the toy for all ages! Sometimes the "book" grows into "books" and we over-do. Is like to cut back. It would be more like our first Christmas together when we agreed we could only spend $35 on each other it was a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the challenge of figuring out limited gifts with a limited budget--we were lucky enough to have many lean years that formed the way we celebrate Christmas. Now, even if we don't have to, we like it that way better!

      Delete
  2. LOL Faith, I'll have to check out the Gilbert book based on Mark's response! I loved the speeches too. As the children get older, the gifts under the tree decrease in number. Books and clothes are my kids' favorites, socks and underwear being a Christmas staple (my kids are very disappointed that *that's* the Christmas tradition I bring from my family).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up, we often got new boots, living in upstate New York much of my life, where the snow was crazy!

      Delete
  3. Wow, these sound fantastic! A lot of them will be going on my To-Read list. Thanks for sharing! I might have to steal that four gift idea for the future, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the L'Engle book so long ago, I think I've forgotten most of it. Perhaps it's time for a re-read. And the Gilbert book looks pretty great, too. I know my struggles are frequently with fear--of failure, of being vulnerable and real, of making the wrong choices about how I invest my time. Any encouragement on the creative bravery front would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of these are encouraging, but the Gilbert, Gaiman, and Freeman books particularly so. If you haven't read the last, it's like having a very wise cheerleader and coach who will inspire you while still demanding your best.

      Delete
  5. What a great list. I may have to buy myself some gifts I haven't read any of these. Your four books gift plan is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the L'Engle one first--I think you'd love it!

      Delete
  6. Madeleine L'Engle's book is one of my favorites as well. I loved Gaiman's speech (so inspiring!), and I've had my eye on Million Little Ways for awhile. But you've also brought up some that I've never heard of. I think I'd really like the one by Flannery O'Connor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up reading Flannery O'Connor's book, I'd love to know what you think! I absolutely devoured it in a post-baby reading binge, but I find myself turning to it often for more thoughtful re-reading.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts