What I Learned in October



A few things I learned, or re-learned, in October:

1. I wish all my family lived closer. Early in the month we made a rather whirlwind trip in which we visited my littlest sister, my oldest sister, my grandparents, and a few aunts and uncles. I found myself re-imagining this fantasy I had in my very mobile (I moved 10 times before I went to college) childhood, where all my family and friends could live in the same town and I could see them all whenever I wanted. Everyone I love had better be good, because I'm planning out my afterlife here.

2. I am not much of a photographer. Oh, I knew this one already. I always forget to get the camera out, months go by without my having taken a single picture (in my defense, my hands are usually too full of children to take a photograph of them--I don't have one of those too-smart-for-me phones that can take pictures), and I usually rely on my shutterbug family members to make sure my children's lives are preserved on film. But this month I actually tried  to be good at this, and was really frustrated when my artistic vision clashed with my complete lack of knowledge of the camera. See this picture?


I wanted the leaves around the border to be all fuzzy while the focus was on my girls looking at the faerie house. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Please?

3. Speaking of faerie houses--I'm a fan. They make me happy. :)
These are from the exhibit at the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, Connecticut.




4. This bullet point could be divided into a whole outline, because it was a huge learning experience, but let me sum up: I learned to make cheese! Three kinds actually: Feta, Ricotta, and Mozzarella. I am so ridiculously excited about this that there's a danger of this sentence just devolving into...blah blah no words smiley faces ! ! ! ! Ahem. Here I am pretending to be normal and intelligent again. The experience was a pleasant one and the outcome favorable. It's like magic...um, I mean, the scientific procedure of introducing beneficial enzymes to dairy products resulted in an astonishingly pleasing chemical reaction.

5. Editors and agents are SO NICE. No, I'm not querying. I'm on the committee for the Tassy Walden Award, and part of my responsibility involves contacting our agent and editor judges. It's really nice to get to talk to them about something other than your own books, because you realize that as much as they are required to say "no," they really enjoy saying "yes." (Also, CT writers and illustrators: enter the contest this year. Awesome judges so far. And really nice. :)

Linking up with the lovely Emily Freeman.

Comments

  1. Ohhh cheese... I love cheese! How about I come up, we play with your camera and you teach me how to make cheese? Couple quick tips for that picture. If you can set your camera to manual, you can open up the aperture (make the fstop number smaller) and choose your focal point. What is probably happening, is you have your camera on auto and it just randomly chooses focal points for you. If you can choose your focal point, you will have more control over what is in focus instead of your camera deciding for you :) And umm. I owe some seriously long overdue photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get the photography thing. Also, I have relatives all over the place, and I wish we could all be closer!

    What cute fairy/faerie houses! I saw a bunch that were made by kids last week at a book party for THE FAIRY SWARM by Suzanne Selfors. I loved how much thought was put into each house. Really creative, really sweet!

    I'm not querying right now either, but I think it's great you're on that committee! Good for you! Yeah, I don't think any of them take delight in saying no to writers. I imagine that to be one of the most unpleasant parts of the job--that, and being stalked. That must get old.

    Have a happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those fairy houses! I want to add some little animals to them :)
    What a busy time for you, but so much fun too, visiting family. But there's nothing like home, no? And making cheese ... yum!
    And you've gotten great advice on the photography. Even with a point and shoot, you can choose the object you want to focus on and press the button halfway or something before framing the final shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous fairy houses! And I'm not much of a photographer, either. I just use my smart phone now and I don't know what all the filters are or anything like this. I just pretty much point and shoot. :)

    I actually grew up surrounded by family. It was really quite nice - my parents were high school sweethearts and all of their siblings (save for one) lived in our small town, so I had tons and tons of aunts and uncles (even great-aunts and great-uncles), both sets of grandparents, and a plethora of cousins. It was really nice. Now that I live away from them (my mom and my brother and his wife and baby live where I do now) it's just not the same. My daughter hasn't had the same experience I did. My cousins were my first friends. And visiting family was something we did every single week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts