September Lessons

Over the past year, I've been inspired by Emily Freeman's "Things I Learned in..." posts, so I decided to write something like that to wrap up this month of blogger-lite. :)

Without further ado... What I learned in September:

I love babies. I mean, I really, really, really love babies.

Even with all the challenges associated with caring for a newborn, there's just nothing like that warm, bubbly, overflow of love you get when you're holding a little baby. If that sounds like an alcoholic talking about cocktails, it's probably because I'm totally addicted. That's why I have five children, friends.




I really do write best in the early morning.

Now that my toddler is sleeping later than she used to and my infant is still waking me up between 5:30 and 6 for cuddle/nursing time, I'm back to my old writing schedule. And I love it. For the first time in almost two years, I'm plunging into the drafting of a novel and actually getting somewhere. It's the best. [I mean, the accomplishing, not the novel. (I wish.)]

Everyone should have an eight-year-old before they have a baby.

Wouldn't that be the greatest? Seriously, it's sooooo much easier having a baby now than any other time. Eight-year-old girls are apparently hardwired to enjoy holding babies, making lunches, reading to their other siblings, and folding baby clothes (not the other laundry, sadly). Plus my eight-year-old has a super power for getting her little brother to sleep. It's amazing: one second he's crying, the next she's informing me that he's sound asleep in his bassinet. Magic.

I always thought it was boring to "write what you know," but I was totally wrong.

See, I just thought what I knew was boring. But as you all showed me in your comments on my post about big families in literature, I actually have some experience in a way of life very intriguing to much of the world. So that's what I'm writing about: a big family. And it's so. much. fun. (More about this in another blog post, methinks...)


THIS is what I know really, really well: life with lots of girls.

"Farther" refers to distance, and "further" refers to ideas.

I know I learned this before, but I just couldn't get it to stick in my brain. Imagine how frustrating that was for a grammar Nazi  nerd. Luckily, my husband knows a thing or two about grammar, and he finally helped it stick in my head as he taught the difference to our daughters. (On a side note, I remembered--not exactly learned--that I find a good command of the English language very attractive.)

Bowling is fun. And I'm really bad at it.

We went bowling for Zoe's 6th birthday. Sadly, almost all the bowling alleys around here have closed, since everyone seems to think pretending to bowl on a video game is the same thing as actually bowling. Or maybe it has more to do with the fact that--like me--most people are awesome at bowling in video games and really stink at the real thing. But isn't there something therapeutic about heaving the balls down the lane helter-skelter and hearing that distinct grating roll as they land in the gutter? I think so.


See this picture? Mark held Gabriel most of the time we were bowling, and he still beat me. (Also, he should win some sort of super dad award, don't you think?)

So what did you learn in September? I'd love to hear about it!

Comments

  1. Yes, to you statement about 8-year-old girls! My girls are actually 5 and 11, but we are expecting Baby #6 in a few months and I know my girls are going to be fantastic helpers. It is so much easier having a new baby when there are willing helpers around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite post ever! Though it did make my heart ache a little that you guys are so far away...

    Faith, you have such a beautiful family. I am so inspired, time and time again, by what a beautiful mother you are...I want to be you when I grow up! =) Your gentleness, humility, and sacrificial, pure love are all so extremely touching. You know the beauty of motherhood, and it's so moving to be how you continually live it out. I wish that all women could see family life to be this beautiful and attractive!

    Love you all loads and hope to hold Gabriel soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! And agree with everything Anne Marie said. The joy your poured into your keyboard has overflowed from my screen and straight into my heart. I have a feeling that Mark's reward is in his arms already :) But he should definitely have some of those cookies you all are baking!

    Sept. lessons: I can learn a new Missa Cantata in 3 wks. I am definitely NOT a morning person anymore. I do better if I write and walk every day. Even a few fire ant bites can make your ankle swell up ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, this is making me want another kiddo! I love babies so much too :) Not in the cards for us, though, so I'll deal with it by ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over your adorable clan! I think it's awesome that you're writing about big families~ those books (like the Penderwicks and All of a Kind Family and The Five Little Peppers), are some of my absolute favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much to enjoy in this blog post. I love that you're writing again! I love that you're writing about a big family. I think it will be inspiring. And I see now why you have five children. Your love for them leaps off the screen.

    I'm really bad at bowling too. I had the worst average in our bowling league (that was before kiddos came along, so quite a while ago). But you're right. It's so much more fun than our Wii version. No comparison.

    Got to be impressed by a man who can bowl and hold a baby at the same time (and he must be a pro if he beat you).

    I spent most of September (and the second half of August) with a virus that gave me vertigo, so I guess I learned I can accomplish some household tasks and some writing even while dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the wonderful pictures (The kitchen one is priceless)! I loved hearing about Zoe's birthday and yes, real bowling is lots of fun! I am also terrible at it, but I think I'm also pretty bad at the video game version too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts