What We're Reading: The Eclectic Edition

Ready for the randomness?



All-righty, then. Book #1: Everblaze, Book 3 of the Keeper of the Lost Cities series, by Shannon Messenger (Middle Grade Fantasy). This is that last-last book I have to finish from the library, because I'd had it on hold for forever and couldn't really betray the library by not reading it after all that. Like the first two books in the series, this is a light, easy read and lots of fun so far. Super great character development with the secondary characters.


Book #2: Spiritual Midwifery, by Ina May Gaskin (adult non-fiction...hippie non-fiction). I could also count this one as humor, though at its heart are a lot of beautiful things about natural childbirth with which I totally agree. My midwife warned me it was "psychedelic"...which truly is the best word for it. I loved all the first person birth accounts, even as I laughed my head off at the hippie vocabulary which related how things/people got "real heavy" or "stoned" by a spiritual "high" while they shared their "telepathic energy" with each other. Groovy, dude. (I read a different book by the same author before Lucy was born, and from what I recall, it was a lot more accessible to the non-hippie reader, if you're looking for a good read about natural birth. Also, her Ted Talk is mostly great.)


Book #3: By Mouse and Frog, by Deborah Freedman (picture book).  Deborah is not only one of our very favorite author/illustrators, she is one of our favorite people ever. I love having such talented authors living nearby (Connecticut is seriously chock-full of them), because it means we get the fun of going to all their awesome book signings and release parties--and Debbie's presentations are super, super fun. As are all her books! So far, Lucy's favorite is Scribble (go figure--there's a girl named Lucie in it), Ginny's favorite is Blue Chicken, and Zoe's favorite is this newest. Fish and Snail, though, is also pulled off the shelf enough for the dust jacket to be worn out already. If you haven't discovered these delightful, whimsical, creative stories and pictures yet, you need to make a trip to the library or bookstore posthaste.


Book #4: Joan of Arc: In Her Own Words (adult non-fiction/spiritual/biography/historical document). This is just what it sounds like...the actual words of Joan of Arc, mostly from the testimony given at her trial. I had no idea these documents were still around until my sister gave me the book (as I've become a little obsessed with Joan of Arc the past few years). It's a very interesting book, though, like the story of Jeanne herself, not exactly....comfortable. Can you imagine being put to death by members of the very institution you held most dear? Jeanne was never trying to be a rebel, she was trying to be faithful. Which is why that same institution now honors her as a saint.


Linking up with Jessica--go see what everyone else is reading this month!

Comments

  1. I presume you could write a book about birthing babies yourself :) The PBs look delightful and oh, my, that testimony would be probably make me weep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I never knew they had documents on Joan's trial. She's been a fave of mine since high school. All of these books look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of the Joan of Arc book! I'm definitely drawn to her, I'd love to learn more about her...especially since we belong to a parish under her patronage!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts