5 Ways to Write Every Day

Writing every day. We all know how important that is to maintain consistent quality in our work.

We also all know that when life hits, writing even a few paragraphs on our current works in progress seems all but impossible.

Luckily, lots of things qualify as writing, and all of them will keep your skills sharp. Here are five ideas for your perusal for days when "regular writing" just isn't going to work:

1. Write a letter. By the mere fact that they tend to be written paragraph by paragraph, they can be easier to get out on the hard days in between everything else you have going on--especially if they're hand-written. Bonus: you'll make someone's day.

2. Write something totally outside of your normal genre. If you, like me, write novels, working for a half hour or so on a picture book or magazine article can feel like relaxation instead of more work.

3. Write a blog post. Obviously (considering my recent lack of posts) this isn't my favorite method. But for some, getting words onto the screen, especially in this method which allows others to chime in and encourage, can keep creative juices flowing.

4. Make up a song or a poem on the spot. Yes, this is easier if you have kids around. But it's actually a really great way to stretch your word-smithing muscles.

5. Tell a child a story. Personally, I find this one the most effective. My comfort zone is in following an outline and putting words onto paper or a screen so I can fix them as I go along. Making up a story and telling it aloud forces me to think outside my own boxes and just keep going--a good skill to have the next time I sit down at the computer.

What are your tips for writing on the hard days? Please share in the comments!

Now to be totally random, and because all posts should have a picture, look what I found on a walk the other day! Proof that we need to keep our eyes open.

Half-and-half Periwinkle, which somebody should totally cultivate.
 
Pretty cool, huh?
 
 

Comments

  1. Love the flowers! And your tips ... for me letter-writing is tops. It is a personal connection. Perhaps it is the most important thing I do apart from raising my family. And I enjoy blogging very much. It might not be as personal but you never know whom you will touch. I've been touched deeply and gotten to know some incredible people far and wide. You are one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea about telling a child a story. One should not underestimate the power of making up a story and telling it aloud... it helps the writer/storyteller AND jumpstarts the imagination of the child/listener! Trolls, worms, magic telescopes, almost ANYTHING works... and most of it is definitely outside of our typical boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous flowers! Love these tips so much. I hadn't thought of the pros of aloud (fictional) storytelling...that's a skill that seems to have faded for me as I've grown older. I'm definitely going to try that one next time I'm stuck. One thing I do when I'm struggling to sit down and write is talk to my writer friends about whatever I'm working on. Their excitement always seems to propel me forward. Or, if we're talking about their projects and how far they are, pure competition forces me to get writing! Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts