New Year's "Revolushuns"

Yesterday my 7-year-old Lucy asked me, “Do you know that some people make sort of promises every New Year’s, of things that will make them a better person? They’re called ‘revolutions.’ Have you heard of those?” (I did tell her that a ‘revolution’ was actually a kind of a rebellion, but either that didn’t stick or she thought it a more appropriate term anyway.)

Boldini, The Summer Stroll
Later she made a sign marked, “Stand here to make your new year’s revolushuns,” and insisted that each of us take a turn promising to do something that would make us better people.

I’m more of a goal-setter than a resolution-maker, but I had to go along with something that cute. So we all stood on the sign, one by one, and promised:

Lucy: “I promise to pay attention to all the details of everything. In drawing, but not just drawing. All the things.”

Zoe: “I promise to listen to Mama and Papa right away.”

Me: “I promise to practice drawing.”

...and, last but not least, Ginny (who is 3). She spent a long time considering before finally coming up with: “I promise to have an umbrella!”

Luckily her grandpa was nearby to give her an umbrella since we did not, in fact, have one. I have a feeling her resolution will either last the longest or end up in a broken umbrella.

Comments

  1. Ahh...Lucia just got a little umbrella from Once Upon a Child, and it's the bane of every outing, rain or shine! I hate umbrellas! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true: umbrellas and toddlers can be a dangerous mix. Ginny is being okay with hers so far...but the reason we didn't have one is that her big sisters got a bit wild with theirs!

      Delete
  2. How funny and sweet! And considering what resolutions some might make, they could be considered more of a revolution. ;) Love the picture you picked to go with, I've not seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. New Year Revolutions ... Why not? I'm with Lucy!!!
    And Ginny has the right spirit! Love it. Thank you for sharing your revolutions (and not your revulsions).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! So adorable! I have quit making New Year's resolutions (though I admit to liking "revolutions" much better!) I just try to do better and improve in certain areas of my life, I guess. I see each day as a day to start over.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet, Faith. I never make New Year's Resolutions because I know they'll always be broken, but I do try to set reasonable goals (like, I will finish writing this novel sometime this year). :) Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts