Hopes, goals and resolutions

Christmas Morning, by Carl Larsson

I'm not exactly a New Year's Resolution type of person. I'm more of a "take advantage of every change of season to make new goals" kind of girl.

I'm also not really an advice-giving kind of person, but I'll break into that role today, because I hate to see so many writers and artists become so discouraged after two months when their resolutions are broken that they lose the drive to create.

So here's my advice:

Don't make resolutions.

Make goals.

And set requirements.

The goals can be lofty, but should be reasonable. The requirements should be things you can definitely accomplish if you set your mind to it--and not be dependent upon chance or the world around you.

The key thing for us dreamers to remember is that goals are different from hopes. In 2013, I hoped to find an agent, to sign a contract and to have another book finished entirely--not to mention have a perfectly clean house with a new kitchen floor and newly-decorated bedroom for the girls. But it would have been crazy to resolve to sign a contract--because that is dependent upon someone other than me. My actions can't change the way an editor or agent will feel about my work, not to mention the current trends or economy.

However, I did make goals that ensured that any failing in the hope department really wouldn't be my fault. My goals were to finish revising CIRQUE, to send it out to critique partners, to revise it again, and to start querying while writing the rough draft of my next novel. All those goals were more or less met (more--because I revised the novel one more time that I thought I'd need to; less--because I only managed a few chapters of that rough draft). So when I look at my hopes for 2013, I can assure myself that I did all that I could to make them happen.

Then, there are requirements. These are harder, but definitely worth setting. My writing requirements were simple: write or read (or both) every day. Sometimes it was only a paragraph or two, but if I hadn't required it of myself, even that little wouldn't have happened.

So for 2014, make some small requirements. Set some amazing, but achievable goals. Be reasonable, but don't underestimate yourself! And hope, hope, hope like crazy.

A blessed Christmas season and happy new year to all of you!

Comments

  1. Wise words, indeed, Faith. Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there w/you on setting goals. I've got a post ready to go about them for tmrrw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the differentiation you made here! My requirements will be very low with baby coming I'm afraid ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is most excellent advice, Faith. Much love to you this new year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Faith! This is lovely and so insightful. I never make resolutions because I know I won't keep them. I couldn't possibly read more than I already do, but I'm sure I could write more and I plan to in 2014. But I did meet my goals of revising my second novel and querying it, and of finishing the rough draft of my third.

    You amaze me; a new baby, and you're still writing. You rock! Here's to a happy writing year for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a lover of goal-setting and will look for any excuse to do so. New Year's Day is one of my favorite holidays since it is all about fresh starts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely put! We do have hopes and goals and they aren't exactly the same things, though we can set up goals to help us make advances towards our hopes. :)

    Wishing you a wonderful 2014 in which your hopes are met. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right with you on goal-setting vs. resolutions -- and at the start of each new season, definitely.

    Happy New Year, Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a hope setter, totally and completely, and just blogged about it today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts