A Hallowe'en Tale with a Very Happy Ending

Once upon a midnight dreary...

On the night before Halloween, I felt a gentle squeezing of my belly. Twenty minutes later, I felt another, not nearly so gentle.

I had to laugh. It was around 11 pm, the day before Halloween. My brain rewound to eight months earlier...

Lucy said, "You know what, Mama? I was born on a Sunday. Zoe was born on a Saturday. Ginny was born on a Friday. I bet this new baby will be born on a Thursday!"

I called my mom. "Hey, mom....do you work on Halloween? I think you'd better take the day off, since it's the Thursday before my due date..."

Do you get some sort of points for calling the day like that? At the very least, it's rather spooky, no?

Fast forward 17 hours or so from that first contraction. The trick-or-treaters were making their ways from house to house... At our home, cider was mulling on the stove, donuts had been arranged on a platter...and we were still waiting. Finally, after keeping with the "trick" theme of the evening by "sliming" all present with an explosive bag of amniotic fluid, the best Halloween treat ever squirmed her way into my arms.

Here she is!



The fourth of our "Little Women," Madeleine Rose.

We're all doing well, as long as "crazy in love" doesn't count as mental illness. Perhaps it should...

Comments

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! She is absolutely beautiful, and I love, love, LOVE her name. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens, Faith! Best blog post ... EVER. I have shivers, I am so happy! She's very pink and lovely in her little warming hat! And Miss Lucy—what powers of calculation! Give my love to your growing brood and a hug (along with the Freeman family's heartfelt congratulations!) to yourself and little Madeleine's papa. (Sorry about all the exclamation points, but that's what they're for, right!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, she's gorgeous! Congrats to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! She is beautiful. I love her name. So happy for you and your family, Faith : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations very very much!
    Way to call the day. I guess on the fourth go-round there aren't too many surprises any more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is beautiful, Faith! I think last week I commented that maybe you'd have a Halloween baby. How fun that you did!! Her birthday parties are going to be awesome! Congratulations!!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of your comment that morning--impressive prophetic skills, Laura. :)

      Delete
  8. BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Welcome to our family, Madeline!!! Congratulations, Faith!! Please kiss her from me =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faith, she is so pretty! I love her sweet cheeks :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spooky! I love your Little Women. Looks like Madeleine Rose brought you back your writing brain as well!!!! She is beautiful. Hugs and kisses to all. Love, V.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! So glad you're all doing well. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! That's wonderful news! Congratulations!!!!! She's simply gorgeous!

    And from what I've heard, Madeleine Rose joins an elite group -- statistically, about 5% fewer babies are born on Halloween than on any other day of the year.

    I hope she, you, Mark, and all your Little Women are all doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and um...

      So now you looking for three more so you can cover all the days of the week? ;^)

      Delete
    2. Yep. Except eventually we'll run out of days and have to double up. ;)

      Delete
  13. Congrats on your Halloween baby. What a fun birthday! I love the name...so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to you and your whole family. How special to have four Little Women!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your Halloween fun size girl! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how beautiful she is! Congratulations, Faith and Mark! Your own four Little Women, and on Halloween too. Hope you're getting enough sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats, Faith, on your lovely daughter. The poet John Keats was also born on 10/31. Here's hoping she has his gift for language. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great Halloween treat! She is beautiful - Hope you are all doing well & congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful! And I love her name. Glad all is well. You are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts