Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: What Came from the Stars

WHAT CAME FROM THE STARS is the fourth of Gary Schmidt's books that I've read, but the first that I've loved wholeheartedly. My reason for withholding complete admiration from the three previous ones is kind of complicated. See, I thought every sentence the man wrote was beautiful and brilliant. Completely. But when every single sentence made you stop and say, “wow,” it made it hard to get lost in the story. I felt frustrated, simultaneously bowing before the author's incredible skill, knowing that I’ll never be able to write half that well, and wanting to beg him, like a little kid, to get to the story. 

Before opening WHAT CAME FROM THE STARS, I mentioned to a friend, “You know, one of these days Gary Schmidt is going to write something that will amaze me.” By around the tenth page, I decided this was it.


WHAT CAME FROM THE STARS is both the story of a far-off world, about to crumble under the forces of evil, and a boy in the sixth grade from Plymouth, Massachusetts, doing a little crumbling himself after his mother's death. In order to preserve all the goodness of their world, the great Valorim of that distant planet forge all their Arts into a beautifully-crafted chain and send it hurtling into outer space at the speed of Thought...only to be found in the lunch box of twelve-year-old Tommy Pepper.


So—why this book was so different. I think including the other-worldly perspective allowed the author to pour all his beautiful writing into a place where it perfectly fit. The style was delightfully Beowulf-ish (yes, I was one of those nerds in college who used to read Beowulf aloud). But—when he switched to Tommy's viewpoint, in order to emphasize the contrast between worlds, the lovely language dropped away. It rang completely true as the voice of a mostly-normal twelve-year-old kid, and I loved it. As the worlds began to converge, so did the language, allowing so much of the change to be felt by the reader rather than bluntly pointed out by the author.


Bottom line: very clever, very beautiful, very heart-wrenching, very humorous. Unless you really really really shy away from fantasy, you will love it.

Comments

  1. Interesting that the beautiful language was a distraction to you ... usually it can sweep me into a story. I think language must serve the story ...

    I will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I think this is one of the "problems" of reading a book as a writer. If I had read his books before I started writing, I probably would have just loved it. The difficulty was that I had to stop and dissect every lovely sentence.
      And the language certainly served the story in this book! I think you will enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait to read this one...and I have adored ALL Gary's books, so now I'm extra excited about this one based on what you've said about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, find it as soon as you can. :) You'll love it.

      Delete
  3. What a great review! I'll definitely be reading this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review, you are, as usual, a treasure. I'm in need of a new middle grade tome, and I haven't read this author yet. An aside - the book I'm working on switches POV, between a 1st person very limited POV in the character of a 14-yr-old self-professed "chronicler" and her writing AND a 3rd person limited POV in the character of a 14-yr-old boy, the youngest brother of a Catholic priest from Nigeria, who has come to this country for school. A couple of folks in my writers group said that was a "no-no" so I cannot wait to read What Came From the Stars.

    How's Miss Zoe doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe is healing amazingly fast. I think Mark and I are the only ones who can even notice her slight limp now. A couple days ago I caught her hanging from the TOP BOOKSHELF in our floor-to-ceiling shelves. She's just crazy!
      As to your book... Well, I fervently believe that the only good writing rule is that there are no rules. There's what works and what doesn't. So if you can make your POV shift work (as Schmidt does here!) it'll be that much better for your risk-taking.

      Delete
  5. I don't believe I've read any of this author's books yet. I must remedy that asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Honestly, all his books are very very very good. I just think this is his greatest. :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed yoru review and will keep this one in mind... I have heard it mentioned on MMGM before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gushed about this lovely book back in July on my blog. And even though I also enjoyed The Wednesday Wars and Trouble, this one has a special place in my heart. Glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I skipped all the way to the bottom of this post without reading it just so I wouldn't find out anything I didn't want to. I JUST started reading this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts