Library Memories (or: An Old Fashioned Girl)

When I was eleven years old, I was just like every other girl: I lived for that weekly trip to the mall. I hated the parking lots...but it was worth it for the crunch of that double-decker food court taco...and then walking through my favorite set of doors in the massive building, and enjoying that wonderful mall peace and quiet for the entire rest of the afternoon.


Okay, I suppose I was one of about 10 girls in the entire city who went to the mall for no other purpose than to visit the library.

This was Erie, PA in the 90's—and at least at the time the huge Millcreek Mall was home to a teency, tiny little library in one out-of-the-way corner. I wonder sometimes if it's still there...or how it's changed...

When the eleven-year-old me walked in, I was greeted by that unmistakable smell of old, loved books. Most books in their juvenile section were covered in the old-fashioned canvasy library binding...I learned to love books in those strange dark/bold greens and blues and maroons. I trusted books with dog-eared, yellow pages. I knew a lot of people had enjoyed them before me, and that I returned them to be enjoyed my others.

I had a rather rosy view of that library's and my favorite books' popularity... this was back when a book's card was stamped with the due date; I was shocked when I took out Louisa May Alcott's Jack and Jill for the fourth time in two years and realized, from the dates, that no one had checked it out in between the times I did. This was a clue that change was coming...this and the two—two!--brand new computers that squeezed their way into the library's center offering free internet use and the promise of a soon-to-come searchable card-catalog...as if the old ones weren't searchable enough.

I haven't revisited that library since we moved away in the late 90's... but sometimes I wish I could travel back in time and see it... I wish I could show my daughters how a real card catalog worked... Just as that library was an oasis in the wonderfully crazy world of commerce, I wish I could find an oasis from technology sometimes.

I do appreciate and bear a fond affection for my library now, but... There are dozens of computers on every floor—and more children to be found using them than searching for a new story to read. There is a television in the lobby with news constantly running. The DVD section is bigger than the poetry section.

Ah....I guess I'm just getting old.

Do you have any favorite library memories to share? (Ones with card catalogs preferable. ;)

Comments

  1. Ahh, the memories. What about those little pencils and the 8x10 paper cut in fours to write down where to find the books? Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lovelovelove libraries, both new and old. I used to work in the Humanities library at the university, shelving books mostly and some of the tomes were old and dusty. I discovered all kinds of books while I did my work ... At night I'd be in the science library doing my homework and there too, in neglected corners, I found literature amongst the journals. Great memories.

    My earliest memory of a library is the British Council Library. There I pored over picture books with colored plates. It was a monthly excursion, and we were each allowed to check out four books.

    Our local library is well stocked, but I appreciate the convenience of ordering books online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps: word verification: blessed. Fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the card catalog... Don't get me started on the Dewey Decimal system. They spent countless hours teaching us how to use it and I never got it. Instead, I'd wander the stacks, pulling off books that looked interesting.

    I hate the computers at our library. Maybe I'm just jealous on behalf of the books. Most times when I go in, they're full of people playing games or chatting or IM'ing, but when I walk around, there's no one looking at the actual reading material. Poor lonely books. =o(

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't live anywhere near a mall, or even a real public library - but my school had a library. I LOVED it there - spent too many recesses there. I worked my way through shelves of books. The Gandalara Cycle series was my all time favourites. And yes, I loved getting that card stamped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of my favorite memories are of the library in the town I grew up in. Ahhh, how I want to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do remember what a treat it was when my dad would take me to the libraray when I was a little girl. I don't remember going with my mom, but I'm sure she took me sometimes, too. In our family, once you learned to write your name in cursive you could get your own library card. I remember that as a very big event!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the library at my middle school. One of my favorite memories: checking out C.S. Lewis books with my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED our school library! Students could not use it until third grade, but because I was such an avid reader my second-grade teacher used to sneak me in (and also in to the faculty library) and have me pick out books to read. (Yes... books...as in plural... at a time when students were limited to one checkout per week!) I enjoyed being the first to check out a book, but also trusted those old, dog-eared, worn classics. I still remember the Dewey Decimal System call number of my favorite library book: 796.357 A Yes, it's a baseball book!

    When the local library system expanded with branch locations I was elated. My Mother took us to the closest branch and I remember how important I felt to have MY OWN library card! I checked out a brand new book about "some newcomer" on the tennis scene named Arthur Ashe... and that initiated my interest in the sport.

    I work at one of the world's largest university libraries now.... and have seen many changes over the short time I have been there... but I still prefer "Bricks" to "Clicks" and hope that the printed collections continue to grow. I don't know... sitting in bed reading a classic off of a laptop is nowhere near as comforting and relaxing as curling up on your side in bed totally engrossed in the printed original!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Faith! This is your cousin Mary! I somehow stumbled on your blog through Nat's facebook, and I found this post... the library is no longer in the mall, unfortunately, as there is a new bank or store or something, as well as a brand new food court. I also remember going to that mall just to visit the library! I hope you're doing well! Tell the Regina and the family hello for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts