Highlights Foundation Conference and Scholarships

This afternoon, I receieved the following lovely email from the wonderful people of the Highlights Foundation:

You may know someone who is hesitating to pursue his or her Chautauqua dream due to finances. The Highlights Foundation offers scholarships and now is the time to find out more.

A lot of children's writers dream of the Highlights Foundation Writers Workshop at Chautauqua. "Next year," they promise themselves. "Next year I'm going to Chautauqua!" Then reality sets in. The drive and talent to support the dream are there, but the finances . . . maybe not.
Please encourage your writing friends to stop dreaming and start planning! Pass along our scholarship newsletter. Scholarships will be considered in two groups. Early applications will be accepted through December 15, 2010. (Final scholarship deadline is February 11, 2011.)

Last year, my husband Mark attended the conference (and they generously allowed me to join him to sit in on a few talks). I'm not sure how to stress emphatically enough how amazing an experience it was. If you have any interest at all in attending, if you need encouragement and wonderfully constructive criticism of your work, if you want to network with like-minded writers and illustrators in person...you really need to check out their website. Read about the conference; read some of the past talks (under "Writing Tips"); look around. And get your mind off Christmas preparations just long enough to apply for the scholarship. They are very very generous, first of all; secondly, once you get there you'll realize that it is worth every penny, regardless.

On a personal note, I apologize for my lack of blogging lately... My writing mind seems to shut down a few days after Thanksgiving and not awaken until New Years! I am managing to write, but the blog frowns at me whenever I look at it, which leads to grumpy posts. I promise I'll try to write more, but only happy things are allowed. :)

Comments

  1. LOL! I've been doing grumpy post-Thanksgiving posts too. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

    Thanks for the info about Highlights. I think I'm out for conferences for awhile (until this coming baby is weened) but this is great to keep in mind for the future! I've heard great things from others about it, as well.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband is a writer too?! A few years back, I got a scholarship to go and I completely agree with you what a wonderful experience it was -- a GIFT! My kids were not school-age but they were weaned, so my mother-in-law came to be with them. A great time was had by all ... the kids, me, and I hope to get back there some day again.

    I am very grumpy today after a fabulous day yesterday. LOL! Otherwise I'll cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I know...having a nursing baby does make conferences difficult. I'm still waiting for someone to plan a conference that will welcome mothers with babies!
    Vijaya, that's wonderful you were able to attend--isn't it wonderful? I can't wait to go myself someday (like Amy, when I'm not nursing a baby :)
    Thanks for your comments. You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours. See you again in the new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - Chautauqua was well worth the time! I hope to get back some day or have the opportunity to take one of the other Founder's workshops.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts