Frogging

The knitting world is full of wonderfully strange terms and phrases that sound like babble to the uninitiated. A purl is a stitch, not a jewel, and a cable is for decoration, not to direct electricity. But my favorite knitting term is one sadly relevant to my writing at the moment: frogging.


It means tearing apart a project and starting again. (Apparently, someone thought saying “rip it, rip it,” was just too similar to a frog's croak to let the opportunity for word creation pass.)

I haven't frogged too much knitting...probably because it doesn't bother me to let a few wrong stitches slide. But I think I'm about to frog my writing WiP. In writing, anything less than my best is completely ...infuriating, depressing, frustrating...to me. There are so many elements to think of at once: plot, structure, POV, voice. And when one of these isn't working right, the rest seem to crumble.

I've frogged entire novels before for plot flaws. Then I learned more about plotting and became a staunch supporter of outlines. The problem this time around is even more complicated. It's that so-essential, ever-elusive, without-it-you-have-no-book element:

Voice.

My character's voice is all over the place. I've never really had this problem before, as the voice is usually the first solid thing in my stories. And I'm not really sure what to do. Other than start again. There's nothing more frustrating than looking the last month's work in the face and saying, “Au revoir.” Other than looking at the last month's work and knowing it's not right. As my husband says about his own writing, “Good enough isn't good enough.”

So I'm back to a blank white page. The good part is that beginning a story is where all the fun stuff happens. The bad part is I'm afraid this won't be the last beginning. Oh well.

If anyone has a panacea for this malady...other than chocolate (though of course you're free to send that, too)...well, I'm begging now. Help!

Comments

  1. That's always tough to come to grips with. Although I will say there's nothing for improving a novel like rewriting it. I started SPITFIRE off in third-person past tense, and it didn't work. It wasn't bad, and there were actually moments of writing that I loved, but it wasn't serving the story.

    And of course, the voice completely changed when I switched to first-person present. Completely, and for the better. I wouldn't say I had an issue with the voice of the novel to begin with, but changing the person and tense was imperative to the success telling this story. You might want to look at your novel and see if a person or tense change would do some good.

    Alternatively, wine. Antioxidants. ;)

    Anyhow, I hope your rewrites go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for sticking to your high standards!

    I've ditched three novels now because of poor plot points, but I haven't really morphed into a plotter because when I do my writing becomes mechanical (imo) and I lose a lot of the joy that comes with figuring out my story. Of course I have a basic idea of where I'm going when I start -- I write out a one-line synopsis for myself to make sure I'm not getting too off track.

    Anyway, I don't really have any advice, but I'm proud of you for pressing on! Your persistence will pay off!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found sometimes that stories need time and space, and to exist in a drawer in the dark, fermenting. The author must think of this story as a souffle, and resist the urge to open the drawer or oven, just to take a peek. The souffle will fall and will never live up to its potential.
    While the story sits, your subconscious will be working on it. Bits and pieces may rise to the surface during your day. You will itch in the midst of preparing dinner or reading to the girls. You will yearn to jump back into the pages. To fix it. To make it what you think it should be.
    It is not ready.
    Not yet.
    But it will be, with time and patience and trust and love. It will grow and blossom like a child. And you will know when it is ready, I promise you this.
    So live and enjoy life and write other words; follow another muse.
    Trust in the story.
    Believe in your ability.
    I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your assessment that an inconsistent voice means a rewrite is needed. HOWEVER, you've done perhaps the hardest part, which is figure out what will happen and which scenes deserve to be dramatized. The rewrite should go very fast when you're ready.

    So how do you get ready? Freewrite until the character's voice does gel. Hunt online for a few writing prompts--your most embarrassing moment, best pet memory, worst birthday, etc. and let the character's approach to those prompts flow. Look at some scenes from your story and let her vent about them. Pretend to be her and do some online fantasy shopping. Imagine how she'd pick which movie to see or which free event in your city she'd want to attend.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I'm a horrible frogger (and I may just be stealing that term!) when it comes to writing... :/ So I can't help, but I can commiserate - you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ladies are wonderful! Thank you so much for your plethora of encouragement and sound advice. I'm seriously going to print out this comments page and read them over and over until I figure things out.
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have many good suggestions here. When the plot idea comes before the character (at least for me) it can be harder to find out whose story it is, as well as what the character is all about. For me, scene writing worked, writing a scenes out of order, with no idea if the scene will stay or go, in hopes of learning more about the MC.

    Hope that helps. Good luck and keep pushing through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faith, I've been rewriting my WIP again and again and FINALLY I think I have the voice where I want it. Hang in there! It will come together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts