MMGM: Beverly, Right Here, by Kate DiCamillo

Is "gem of a book" an official genre yet? What is it about those books, light in your hand and small on the shelf, where every word counts and every sentence roots itself into your heart?

Doodled word art. As always, DiCamillo is endlessly quotable.

Only a few authors can pull off these gems... Neil Gaiman. Patricia MacLaughlin. Laura Amy Schlitz. Kate DiCamillo.

Most of DiCamillo's books are gems, in my opinion. But her latest, Beverly, Right Here, is like a tiny, perfectly cut diamond. It might not have the mass and showiness of bigger gems, but when the light hits it just right, sunshine glitters around everything in reach.

(If you purchase the book by clicking on this image, I will earn a tiny commission. Thank you!)

Beverly, Right Here is the third book in Kate DiCamillo's "series" (I like to think of them more as "companion books") begun with the award-winning Raymie Nightingale and followed up by Louisiana's Way Home (which stars my favorite character of the three). Most authors would never get away with writing three books in a set that are so vastly different from one another. Each has DiCamillo's signature simple style. But Raymie is a little melancholy and more plot-heavy. Louisiana is whimsical and heart-breaking and hopeful. And Beverly goes way off to the side of the Venn diagram by being a sparse, slightly angsty, gentle and graceful Young Adult novella. It's really too short to call it a novel, or to compare the plot or character development to that of a longer book. It's almost a long short story, and--like the best short stories--every word does double duty...if not triple or quadruple. Every speck of conversation furthers both plot and theme. Every physical detail included is important. Every thought and action is sure to point you toward the climax.

Beverly, Right Here is a story about becoming. Not simply coming of age, like many of my favorite YA books, but of becoming who you really are in the first place; getting past all your baggage and hurt and sad memories and realizing the gem that shines underneath it all. 

To find more Marvelous Middle Grade Monday recommendations, visit Greg's blog! (Thanks for hosting, Greg!)

Comments

  1. My students love this author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the first two books in the series so much. They pull you right in and won't let go until the last page. I have this newest high on my list to read in the coming months. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about how compelling this series is. Isn't DiCamillo a master? It's "easy" to make a book with a an action plot a page-turner, but these are gripping because of the character development!

      Delete
  3. Nice to see a review of this book. I have a copy to review, so I'm happy you didn't give the story away. You are right, only Kate could pull off writing individual stories about three main characters. I loved Louisiana's Way Home, which was a bit quirky and heartbreaking. So I look forward to reading Beverly, Right Here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best not to have spoilers. :) This one was quirky and heartbreaking, too, but in a different way. I hope you love it!

      Delete
  4. I already have a pile of library books and it's about to get bigger. Thank you for this lovely review (and word art). Can't wait to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story of my life. :) I've been trying to get my currently-reading pile below 6 since March (unsuccessfully, I might add).

      Delete
  5. I've loved some of of Kate's other series. This one sounds sweet. I'll have to get the series from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is my favorite of hers. There's something very real and raw, but with DiCamillo's ever gentle and beauty-focused touch.

      Delete
  6. I like everything I have ready by Kate DiCamillo, so I expect I will like this. Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts