Review of Ever Eden, a new Catholic literary journal!


I was eleven years old, sitting on the lowest branch of the old beech tree in our back yard, legs dangling over the side while one hand gripped an apple and the other held open my library's copy of Emily Climbs, by L. M. Montgomery. One hand gripped an apple stem, I should say. I was so engrossed in the story of Emily Byrd Starr and her indefatigable quest to become a real, published writer that I'd gnawed away the seeds, core, and all. It was the first time I'd met a character quite so much like myself, down to the crazy dreams and the fiery temperament. I might not have been a raven-haired Canadian orphan, but deep down, Emily and I were basically the same person.

It was also the first time I recall reading of that miraculous, wonderful object: the literary journal. Emily sends her stories week after week, and week after week her manuscripts are returned. Then one day: a thin envelope. An acceptance letter. A few words that change Emily's title from hopeful writer to real, published author. In that moment, I knew my calling.

"Mom, do they still print Ladies' Home Journal?" I asked.

"Um...maybe? Why?"

"I plan on sending them a story to publish...eventually. When I write it."

"I don't think they're that kind of a magazine anymore," my mom remarked...crushing my dreams with a simple sentence. (But how was she to know?)

Years and years later, when I actually completed some [terrible] stories and started researching, I found that the literary journals that had been the bread and butter of L. M. Montgomery's career for many a year were few and far between. They probably wouldn't publish Montgomery's work these days, not to mention mine. Worse yet, almost all the entities calling themselves "literary journals" were online. What was the point? I wondered. What would Maud think (oh, yes, L. M. and I were on a first, er, middle name basis by this point) of the fact that stories were reduced to pixels on a screen instead of pages in your hand?

I more or less gave up on literary journals. But I knew that if they ever resurfaced from the ashes of the past, rising phoenix-like from the dust of old e-readers, I would be first in line. I'd hold the journal in one hand, an apple in the other, and find a quiet branch to to sit on and return to the dreams of my youth.

Okay. So maybe I'm waxing slightly eloquent. Emily's writing teacher, Mr. Carpenter, would have a field day (though at least I heeded his advice and scorned italics as much as possible in this post). You'll have to forgive me, though, because I've finally subscribed to a real life literary journal and have held its lovely pages in my own two hands. I no longer have a beech tree branch to settle onto, and I was out of apples because my children basically inhale them as soon as they hit the counter; but I did find a sunny window, a cup of tea, and a deliciously quiet morning--and may I recommend this combination for perfect literary enjoyment?

Ever Eden is a new, Catholic literary journal featuring the work of talented women writers in all walks of life. Its mission is to spotlight the voices of gifted, Catholic women artists--and it succeeds spectacularly in that mission. With a gorgeous design, holdable format and size (don't underestimate this!), and a stellar selection of works, Even Eden brings the "feminine genius" in these artists' stories and poems to a world which needs a shock of beauty, goodness, and truth.

I particularly appreciated the variety of styles and voices represented in its pages. Every selection may not be your cup of tea. You may find yourself glossing over some, enthralled by others. But then, I love when this happens. More often than not, I turn back to the glossed-over bits and find treasures that I'd completely missed. I couldn't do this with an online journal. I'd glance through once, read the selections that matched my personal taste, and move on to other corners of the internet. But when a lovely little journal rests on your desk, you can't help but pick it up again. And again. And your tastes expand and your heart swells and you're so happy this little collection of beauty exists.

Definitely check this out, reader friends. Definitely submit, writer friends! (You'd better believe I have a whole lot of polishing going on to get something ready.) Here's the link again if you missed it: https://www.everedenpublishing.com

What is bringing unexpected beauty into your life this spring? Please share in the comments!

Comments

  1. I had no idea this was a thing! Thank you for bringing it to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you're able to submit something! :)

      Delete
  2. Looking good, Faith! I hope you dust off some of your beautiful work for them. And I'll have to see what I have too, though my magazine writing has dwindled considerably since I started focusing on books. But they are a great way to break into print. Another Catholic literary journal is Dappled Things: https://dappledthings.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vijaya! Your books are definitely worth devoting your time to, but I have enjoyed your short work very much as well. :) At this point in my life, shorter writing is keeping my brain and habits in the act of writing when six children demand much of my time during the day. :)

      Delete
  3. Your writing is delicious here! Glad you tucked in the bit about apples, connecting the events. This is submittable, is it not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet, Donna! The journal publishes fiction, narrative nonfiction, and poetry, so I'll have to save my reviews for somewhere else. :) If I could write poetry like yours, I'd already have sent them some! :)

      Delete
  4. Hadn't heard of this, Faith. But it sounds lovely. Literary Journals that are actually in print are wonderful things. And so rare these days! Good luck getting something published in it. I'm sure you will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited for this, thanks to your review - I just signed up for a sample issue!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts